BlueXP Services

Altavult new version

netappmagic

As I understand the new version can use SnapMirror. My question is, If I have OnTap 8.3.2, can I use SnapCenter to work out SM on AVA without upgrading to 9.2?

6 REPLIES 6

chriswong

Hi,

The ONTAP system that will be sending snapshtos to AltaVault has to be version 9.1 or higher, with AltaVault running 4.3 or higher.

ONTAP 9.2 is going to become the recommended release to perform Snapmirror operations, and will be part of the next SnapCenter release matrix with AltaVault 4.3.1.

Regards,

Christopher

netappmagic

Hi Chris,

One more follow-up.

Can SnapVault also work btw filers and the AltaVault with the new release, in addtion to SnapMirror?

chriswong

Hi,

Yes, the Snapshots can be SnapMirrored between filers, and then SnapMirrored to Altavault, or from either filer directly to Altavault.

Regards,

Christopher

netappmagic

Hi Chris,

My question is not about snapmiror, but "snapvault", or XDP type of snapmirror. So, the question is if I can use AltaVault as the destination for SnapVault or XDP type of SnapMirror?

chriswong

Hi,

AltaVault only accepts SnapVault (type XDP) based Snapshot operations from ONTAP. SnapMirror is the overarching term applied to both SnapMirror and SnapVault operations for ONTAP, so I can understand why that is confusing. Please refer to the Data Fabric Solution for Cloud Backup Workflow guide for details about this.

Regards,

Christopher

chriswong

Hi again,

Further clarification I received: From a product perspective, NetApp is moving towards a consolidated unified data replication story that is SnapMirror, which includes transitioning away from SnapMirror vs. SnapVault terminology, as well as licensing, schemes. 
http://www.netapp.com/us/products/backup-recovery/snapmirror-data-replication.aspx

The DR (SnapMirror) and backup (SnapVault) terms used in the above describe the aspects of the SnapMirror unified data replication architecture. AltaVault as a long term target represents the backup side of the SnapMirror stack, as opposed to hot replication (DR). Hope this clears up things. 

Regards,

Christopher

Public