BlueXP Services

Altavault snapmirror and CIFS

thomasb82
Hi, as snapmirror/vault is now working with altavault I'm interested how a restore may looks like for cifs volumes.
Can I somehow view recent snapshot versions just like on my primary NetApp and extract a single file that way?

Or am I required to use a separate backup software?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chriswong

Hi,

You would use ONTAP CLI to issue a restore of a single file from the volume (a SFR or single file restore operation). 

Syntax is documented in the ONTAP documentation but would look something like:

snapmirror restore -source-path <ava share> -destination-path VSname:volname -file-list -source-snapshot snapname

Refer to ONTAP documentation for details:

http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-910/snapmirror__restore.html

Regards,

Christopher

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

thomasb82
Anyone, please?

chriswong

Hi,

ONTAP Snapshots will begin to be supported with AltaVault starting in the next release, which is due sometime before the end of January. From a restore perspective, you can manage and recover objects using SnapCenter's new version, which is also coming out in this timeframe. SnapCenter provides the management and catalog for the Snapshots sent to AltaVault. Of course, you can always restore the files directly via the ONTAP CLI, if you have syntax experience. 

Regards,

Christopher

Chiatan

Hello Christopher,

Is Altavault compatible to 7-mode(8.x) also or is just for cluster-mode (8.x and 9.x)  for SM

Struggling to find the list of ontap version, which altavault supports.

Thanks

Chaitan

robin

Hi,

support starts with OnTap 9.1, AltaVault 4.3.(x) and SnapCenter 2.0.

Can be found at IMT

More info:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/info/web/ECMLP2603960.html

Rob

thomasb82

Hi Christopher,

assuming the SnapCenter advanced license is not an option for us, how could I do restores?

You mentioned the CLI - could you please share a few command examples?

Many thanks!

chriswong

Hi,

You would use ONTAP CLI to issue a restore of a single file from the volume (a SFR or single file restore operation). 

Syntax is documented in the ONTAP documentation but would look something like:

snapmirror restore -source-path <ava share> -destination-path VSname:volname -file-list -source-snapshot snapname

Refer to ONTAP documentation for details:

http://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-910/snapmirror__restore.html

Regards,

Christopher

kayyumanwar

1) If we wish to replicate this environment , snapmirror for 9.1 and AV-V .. peering need to be done ? If so , do you have any specific documents for peering with AV-V.

2) Below given document have sysntex for SM creation

cluster1::> snapmirror create -source-path : -destination-path :/share/share_name -type XDP

here share_name will automatically created in AV-V ??

Data Fabric Solution for Cloud Backup Workflow Guide

Sorry too many questions in one post .

Thanks

stevedegroat

Not sure if this has been answered, but I didn't see any reply.

Peering is done on the AVA via a "whitelist" - a list of the intercluster replication lifs from the source cluster(s).  That list can be found in the AVA GUI once you enable SnapMirror.

Yes, the share on the AVA is created as part of the SnapMirror relationship creation on the source filer.  

netappmagic

Will SM initialization/baseline transfer be required between Source filer and AVA, which to transfer the entire initial volume data over to AVA first?

chriswong

Hi,

Yes, SnapMirror initialization occurs between the filer and AVA, which transfers the base snapshot across to AltaVault. 

Regards,

Christopher

netappmagic

Hi Chris,

what do you mean by "the base snapshot ", is that the same as the entire base volume data?  The way it works should be the same like between one filer to the other remote filer, correct?

chriswong

The sending of the initial baseline snapshot means sending a copy of the entire contents of the volume from source filer to AVA, just like to a remote filer.

Regards,

Christopher

netappmagic

Thanks Chris, sorry for my persistence.

netappmagic

Hi Chris,

One more question.

In page 21 of document "https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2590889", task 7, the following two IP's seem not matching two IP's used in task 6,

cluster01_icl01
              up/up 192.0.1.201/24 cluster01-01 e0e true
cluster01_icl02
              up/up 192.0.1.202/24 cluster01-02 e0e true

Should (192.0.1.201 & 192.0.1.202) really be (192.0.2.250  &  192.0.2.251) in this example?

2nd question:

Should I set up separate intercluster connections and dedicate to SM for AVA, or share the existing connections for SM for DR (remote filer)? what is your recommendation?

chriswong

Hi,

I took a look at the documentation, and I believe you're correct. I'll inform the publications team about this, and have it reviewed for the next release. You can use either a separate ICL or the existing one you have setup between primary and secondary. The operations should be fine either way. Typical recommendation is to have separate ones as best practice I believe, but depending on topology not all environments may be able to accommodate this.

Regards,

Christopher

reggie_cadiz

Hello Chris -

We have a commvault backup solution in our environment and i was wondering if it's possible to use commvault instead of SnapCenter to manage the snapvault operations from our FAS8080 c.Dot environment to our AltaVault appliance using the NetApp Open Replication feature?  I've been reading some commvault documentation and it looks like what needs to be done is to setup some sort of 'snapvault relationship' between source and destination arrays.  Once that is done, then commvault should work? 

Any thoughts on this?

thanks,

Reggie

chriswong

Hi,

To answer the question, CVLT does not have integration with AltaVault/ONTAP to manage snapshots. Only SnapCenter can do this today. There would need to be interconnectivity work done by CVLT to interface with Altavault in order to accomplish this task (the ONTAP side probably won't be affected much, but I don't know for sure). You should investigate this with your NetApp sales team and request a PVR for this feature enhancement.

In the future, I would recommend you start new threads for new topics, even if there is some mutual discussion point, so as to best keep topics contained.

Thanks,
Christopher

Public