Cloud Insights

Cloud Tier Values

NetApp111

I am working to interpret the values on a storage array to better understand the lifespan of the system before expansion is needed and am having trouble finding many resources online. When I am in Active IQ manager under my aggregates (2 total) there is a value for cloud tier usage. Does this value include the SG EC? We use StorageGRID with 4+2 EC (50% overhead).

In addition to this I see a 12TB delta between the reported cloud tier size in Unified IQ Manager and the fabricpool value in StorageGRID. I need to understand how there could be such a large discrepancy between there two values. The delta is also far too small to be explained with one source including EC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aronk

Today, Ontap reports in Base2, and StorageGRID reports in base10. That may account for the discrepancy 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

elementx

> Does this value include the SG EC? 

On ONTAP, ActiveIQ reports what ONTAP can see.

Using the S3 API (which is what FabricPool does), ONTAP can't get any insight on how SG protects its data.

> In addition to this I see a 12TB delta between the reported cloud tier size in Unified IQ Manager and the fabricpool value in StorageGRID. 

It's not clear whether 12 TB is a lot or not.

12TB is a lot in a 100 TB bucket, but not much in a 1 PB environment. It could be deletion (TR-4598).

elementx_0-1678470952714.png

NetApp111

Hello, 

Thank you for the clarification that the value does not include Erasure Coding. When I am looking at space in StorageGRID should I assume it never includes the Erasure Coding value under the tenant tab? For example, if there are multiple tenants they all are the pre-redundancy values?

As for the difference in sizing, it is 123TB reported in ONTAP vs. 135TB reported in FabricPool via StorageGRID which seems rather large for fragmentation. 

aronk

Today, Ontap reports in Base2, and StorageGRID reports in base10. That may account for the discrepancy 

Public