Cloud Volumes ONTAP

NetApp Cloud: Cloud ONTAP removal does not delete EBS Snapshots

GKugelmeier

Hi,

after decomissioning a Cloud ONTAP instance via OCCM (delete working environment) I found out that there are still the EBS Snapshots present for

​Cloud ONTAP Boot volume - 42GB

​Cloud ONTAP Root volume -  140 GB

So I still pay money for that. Is this by design? Will it be fixed in Cloud ONTAP 1.x?

Best regards

Gerald

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GKugelmeier

Hi Thor,

after working with the Cloud ONTAP Team (thanks to Yaron) on this issue, we found out that I mistakenly deleted one COT instance manually instead from within the OCCM.

In that case the Snapshots are not removed. If you do clean up your environment with OCCM then evereything will be decomissioned, including all snapshots.

So the product works as expexcted, great 🙂

Best regards

Gerald

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Thor

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for using this forum to ask questions. We on the Cloud ONTAP Team appreciate it.

Yes, you would still pay money for those EBS snapshots of boot and root volumes. I am not sure if this is by design or not -- that by deleting the WE the snapshots are left behind -- but I have talked this through with the team and we feel this would be a great enhancement to Cloud ONTAP/OCCM. As a result, I have opened an enhancement request against a future release. Unfortunately it is likely much too late to get this into R1.0.1 or perhaps even 1.1, but I will make sure it gets attention.

Thanks again, and please do not hesitate if you have any further questions, even if unrelated.

Thor

GKugelmeier

Hi Thor,

after working with the Cloud ONTAP Team (thanks to Yaron) on this issue, we found out that I mistakenly deleted one COT instance manually instead from within the OCCM.

In that case the Snapshots are not removed. If you do clean up your environment with OCCM then evereything will be decomissioned, including all snapshots.

So the product works as expexcted, great 🙂

Best regards

Gerald

Thor

Great news, Gerald.

I am happy to see you were able to follow through this with Yaron. And thanks for following back up here on your findings.

Thor

Public