Cloud Volumes ONTAP

ONTAP Cloud HA at two AZ region

Mikky

Hi,

I would like to ask regarding ONTAP Cloud HA at AWS Tokyo region.

The Tokyo region has two Availability zone. So, we cannot create the mediator at individual AZ.

Are there any good methodologies for that?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yaronh

Mikky,

Generally you are correct.

If you'd use the two nodes in form of the active node not in the mediator subnet (In case you work active-standby) - You can survive an AZ failure on the active node.

Still, if the other AZ (with the mediator) fails - You may not have the full functionality as advertised.

Best,

Yaron

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

yaronh

Hi there,

ONTAP Cloud HA can work on top of 2 AZs only. This setup, while working, is not optimal in a way that it may not save you from AZ failure,

but it is good for any other failure.

The spread of instances should be one data node per AZ and the mediator in one of them.

If the AZ without the mediator fails - You'd have HA.

if the AZ with the mediator fails - The other node may still work, but you won't have HA and there would be no failover.

It would still protect you from instance/storage/network failure to one of the data nodes.

Hope that helps,

Yaron Haimsohn

Solution Architect Team Lead

Cloud Manager

Mikky

Hi,yaronh

Thank you for your reply!!

>If the AZ without the mediator fails - You'd have HA.
>if the AZ with the mediator fails - The other node may still work, but you won't have HA and there would be no failover.

So,my understanding of your senario is that
we should deploy the primary volume on the AZ without the mediator node only.

This senario is always to keep the volume and services cotinutiees!!

Please let me know if there are any mistakes in that.

regards,

yaronh

Mikky,

Generally you are correct.

If you'd use the two nodes in form of the active node not in the mediator subnet (In case you work active-standby) - You can survive an AZ failure on the active node.

Still, if the other AZ (with the mediator) fails - You may not have the full functionality as advertised.

Best,

Yaron

Public