Data Backup and Recovery

2240 or Data Ontap 8.1RC in production anyone?

KEVIN_DAY

We have just received a 2240-2 along with a few disk shelves. We have had some issues with the latest OnCommand configuring fibre channel (however this is a bug according to another thread). Also there are issues with using SMTP for Autosupport messages due to the messages being sent in a non-RFC format so mail servers drop them. Lastly we are seeing that the SP's with Firmware 2.0 cannot route to a different subnet from what they are on as some internal SP routing bug is present!

Has anyone actually gone live with a 2240 as I am starting to wonder if I should send this back as it hasn't inspired confidence!

Also anyone running 8.1RC in production also? The 2nd line engineers at Netapp seem very new to it.

Thanks,

Kevin

34 REPLIES 34

andris

I'm stating "fixed" based on test results logged in the bug record after the fix was coded.

The NetApp-internal bug database does not state that it was fixed in 8.1RC2D6. I don't know why this was declared a "fixed" release for that bug.  8.1RC3 is a "fixed" release.

gmilazzoitag

Ok, anyway I've not the only one with same issue. Sorry but I don't have now time to look for and post the release notes of 8.1RC2D6. In that note the bug was reported as FIXED. This is the reason for my question about "is it on paper or on field test?"

😉

andris

Thank you for clarifying the source of the declaration. I check the D6 fix notes and it is listed there. It should work with that D-Patch, as well.

gmilazzoitag

...it shoud ...but really it didn't

andris

The customer we built the "D" patch for is successfully sending SMTP via Exchange with it. Perhaps, for your situation, there are other factors at play?  Please feel free to open a technical case to pursue this further.

In any case, 8.1RC3 is a recommended update to anyone running 8.1RC2 at this time.  I think we're spending way too much time talking about a D patch.

NSUANZES_PROACT

Hi guys,

I've installed DOT 8.2RC3 in a 2240-2 and the asup is finally working fine. Now I've got another question... Any idea about the Service Processor 2.0 firmware BUG routing traffic between differents subnets? Is it possible to downgrade the version?

As I read in http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/serviceimage/support/  the only supported version is 2.0...I hope Netapp fixes this ASAP. It's difficult to explain a customer that they can't connect to their 2240 trough the SP due to a bug...

Thanks!

KEVIN_DAY

Just change the ACP network to a different Private IP range than what is used on their network and it will work. It is a pain though and took me ages to find this was the fault!

NSUANZES_PROACT

Ok! I'll try it!!!

Thanks!!!

KEVIN_DAY

I think the software seems to ignore the subnet mask assigned to the ACP from what I have seen and the 2240 will route network traffic to the ACP on its return regardless of the rules of subnetting. Thus if you have say 192.168.x.x on the network and 172.x.x.x on ACP it seems to work

NSUANZES_PROACT

It worked!!! I can't imagine how did you discover this work-around, but the problem is solved!! I owe you a beer

Thanks!

KEVIN_DAY

I put a hub between the SP port and our switch and used wireshark to sniff the packets. Nothing was coming out until I changed the ACP IP range

Thanks,

Kevin

andris

Kevin, et al.  Is the ACP subnet issue being tracked with a bug#?  Please provide the number.

Or, did you open a technical case and ask for a bug to be opened? If not, please do so.

Thanks.

freeb

acpadmin configure worked for me too.

i installed data ontap 8.1 on a fas2240 with sp 2.1

same problem. couldnt connect to sp from different subnet.

after reconfiguring the acp, the sp worked!!

does anyone have a bug number?

regards,

florian

WillFulmer

If you have a FAS2240 and are running Service Process, SP, with firmware 2.0 or 2.1, 2.1.1 was released on 10/18/2012 and this fixes the routing issue with the SP.

No more having to re-IP your e0P/ACP network.

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/serviceimage/30802263_ontap/

Public