Data Backup and Recovery

AltaVault Snapmirror to or from FAS

F_SCHUBERT

Hello, I could not find a complete description how to remove a SnapMirror relationship with AltaVault. 

In AVA docs is only written, to delete the share from AVA GUI, but Snapshots and Snapmirror persists. 

A regular  snapmirror release  from source filer is not working. 

Only way I found is to manually delete SnapMirror relationship, than delete base snapshot using -ignore-owner  function.

Is this the correct way?

regards Frank

3 REPLIES 3

naveens17

5.3 Remove a SnapMirror Relationship Removing a SnapMirror relationship is the same as deleting a relationship when the destination is a system other than ONTAP. When a relationship is deleted, the data is retained in the shares on the AltaVault appliance. To remove the data on the AltaVault appliance, delete the Snapshot copies using the AltaVault UI or CLI and then delete the share established by the SnapMirror relationship. After Snapshot copies are deleted, the metadata is removed immediately. Freeing up data is done by asynchronous processes in the AltaVault appliance. Because the data is stored deduplicated, processes must run to determine the references to data, then perform a separate removal of unreferenced data in cache and a separate operation to clean up unreferenced data in cloud. 46 AltaVault with ONTAP SnapMirror © 2017 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. © 2016 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. snapmirror delete [-source-path :/vol/] -destination-path :/share/ snapmirror delete -source-path svm1:vol2 -destination-path 192.168.0.75:/share/vol2 or snapmirror delete -destination-path 192.168.0.75:/share/vol2

https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4624.pdf

Page 45

F_SCHUBERT

Thank you for your answer, however a "snapmirror release" is not working. I assume after deleting the SnapMirror relationship you also have to manually remove the snapshot, correct? I could not find that in the documentation.

naveens17

Delete the Snapshot copies using the AltaVault UI or CLI and then delete the share established by the SnapMirror relationship. After Snapshot copies are deleted, the metadata is removed immediately. Freeing up data is done by asynchronous processes in the AltaVault appliance

Public