Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

Highlighted

Command line syntax for DAG backup

Hi all

I'm new to Snap Manager.  Just trying to configure our first scheduled backup job.  We have a 3 member DAG.  I am only looking to backup the database from the remote passive node.  The one with activation preference 3.  I would like copy backups to be run on the other servers.

The syntax the wizard has created is:

new-backup -Server 'DAG' -ClusterAware  -ManagementGroup 'Standard' -BackupTruncatedLogs $False -RetainDays 3 -RetainUtmBackups -1 -StorageGroup 'Database\Server3' -Verify  -VerificationServer 'Server3' -UseMountPoint  -MountPointDir 'D:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\SnapMgrMountPoint' -PassiveDatabaseOnly  -ActivationPreference 3 -RemoteAdditionalCopyBackup $True -ArchiveRemoteAdditionalCopyBackup -RetainRemoteAdditionalCopyBackupDays 3

However, although the backup job works on Server3, the copy job fails on Server1 with:

Please remove the Storage Groups/Databases with invalid SnapManager Configuration from the input[-StorageGroup].

and also fails on Server2 with:

new-backup cmdlet will exit as it is not running in the Active node

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Command line syntax for DAG backup

I see that you have given "-StorageGroup" and didn't give any storage group names? Which is why you might be seeing that error.

I do some thing like this.

new-backup -Server 'DAG' -ManagementGroup 'Standard' -RetainDays 3 -RetainUtmDays 3 -StorageGroup 'sg1','sg2','sg3','sg4' -UseMountPoint -MountPointDir 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\SnapMgrMountPoint' -ArchiveBackup -ArchivedBackupRetention 'Daily' -BackupType CopyBackup -RemoteAdditionalCopyBackup $False

For the second question:

If you have active/active or active/active/active cluster, at the end of the backup setup you need to select no for the dialog box and don’t let SMSQL add -clusteraware to the command.  This is the bug and we aware of it at this  point.

Hope it helps!

Best,

RK

Highlighted

Re: Command line syntax for DAG backup

Hi Ravi

I have given storage group names - 'Database\Server3' above thats the format the backup wizard added.  Note this is an Exchange 2010 DAG.

So you do a local copy backup on each server, not a full backup on one, and 'remote copy' on the others.  How do you truncate the logs?

What do you mean SMSQL?  This is Exchange?

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums