Data Backup and Recovery

Does SnapDrive work with XenServer VMs?

maciej_mrzyglod

Hi anyone!

I'm looking for possibility to reclaim space from LUN's that hosts XenServer machines. Is there any possibility to get it?

I was reading about SnapDriver but as far as I know it works with VMware VMs only.

Can you support me with it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

martin_fisher
Is correct version of software mean DataONTAP 7.3.4?

Sorry, what I was referring to is the version of the NetApp SnapDrive software, installed on your VM's, not DataONTAP.

I believe the space reclaimer feature was introduced in version 6.0 of SnapDrive, but cant remember exactly.

there are some FAQ's here which are pretty good:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3011267

Is there a difference between LUN and SnapDrive LUN?

No - they are the same. You can use Snapdrive to manage the LUN's.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

martin_fisher

Hi,

You should be able to install Snapdrive on a guest VM running on XenServer, e.g. a W2K3 R2 VM running on a XenServer Host.

If the correct version of Snapdrive is installed on this VM you can use the space reclaimer, with snapdrive to reclaim space from LUN's attached to the VM.

Is this what you are trying to achieve ?

Thanks

maciej_mrzyglod

Actually, yes but in the list of SnapDrive requirements is (SanDrive 6.3 for Windows Installation and Administration Guide) written:

"SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure server is installed in the same location as vCenter"

So, the problem is it concerns VMware probably. Isn't it?

martin_fisher

SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) needs to be installed on the samer server as VMWare vCenter Server.

Yes this relates directly to VMWare and ESX server only.

I dont believe SMVI supports XenServer, unless another communities member can tell me otherwise!

This however would not stop you installing SnapDrive on a guest VM, as mentioned before.

martin_fisher

And just to add, there is SMHV - Snapmanager for Hyper-V, so I'm sure SMVI doesnt support XenServer.

maciej_mrzyglod

Yes, I'am able to install SnapDrive on XenServer hosted VM. The question is can I reclaim space on that VM?

martin_fisher

Yes - you can reclaim space, from SnapDrive LUN's, attached to a VM (on a XenServer host) if you are using the correct version of the software.

No - you can not use snapdrive to reclaim space from LUN's connected to VMWare or XenServer hosts.

maciej_mrzyglod

That is good.

I don't want to reclaim space from XenServer LUN.

I want to reclaim space from LUNs which hosts XenServer VMs.

Can you precise some things please?

Thank you for help.

martin_fisher

Sorry, what I was referring to is the version of the NetApp SnapDrive software, installed on your VM's, not DataONTAP.

I believe the space reclaimer feature was introduced in version 6.0 of SnapDrive, but cant remember exactly.

there are some FAQ's here which are pretty good:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3011267

No - they are the same. You can use Snapdrive to manage the LUN's.

Hope this helps.

maciej_mrzyglod

All right, I will try to follow with SnapDSrive:-)

Thank you Martin and all the best!

Public