Data Backup and Recovery

Exchange KB5001779 breaks SnapManager for Exchange

borismekler

I have a few older servers still using SnapManager rather than SnapCenter, and the critical security update that Microsoft released a few days ago (KB5001779) completely breaks SnapManager compatibility - backup jobs no longer run, and console reports "Unable to determine Exchange virtual server group status before SnapManager operation" straight upon opening. This is happening both in Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2019, same error. I have opened a case with support, but while I'm waiting for a response, has anyone else run into this, and is there a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NTAp-AVS

A new version of SME is posted that fixes the issue 

https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/products/all/details/snapmanager_e2k/downloads-tab/download/30034/7.2.1P1/downloads

Bugs fixed in SME 7.2.1P1:

Bug ID

Title

SME unable to enumerate DBs after Microsoft security update KB500177

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

DAR

We are also experiencing the same issues following the installation of this patch, We have logged this with Netapp and are currently awaiting a response.

I am not aware of any work around at this time and from similar issues posted to Microsoft here :

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/released-april-2021-exchange-server-security-updates/ba-p/2254617/page/3#comments

It does not appear that Microsoft have a workaround at this time.

I will try to post here if and when we get any more info or a fix.

LW

Same issue here. After updating the security Updates (April 2021)  SnapManager breakes and right now I have now workaround.

Will also create an support ticket. Can you please share your Case IDs?

borismekler

Case number 2008734372 here.

Since this appears to be an easily reproducible issue, I'm hoping for a speedy resolution.

harness

As yet we do not have a workaround for this issue.  Please open a support ticket in order to get this issue addressed.

DAR

It appears that we have all logged calls with Netapp for this issue, our case number is: 2008734252

As this is clearly a problem affecting multiple customers is it possible for any updates with the progress regarding a solution to be added to this thread?

NTAp-AVS

This issue is new and it will need to be investigated by NetApp engineering, once we have a solution from them this forum will be updated with a BUG number or a KB article 

Thanks

NTAp-AVS

Upon reviewing further 

[04/16 12:59:23 754] Getting dash board info...
[04/16 12:59:23 754] Calling PowerShell to get current exchange server...
[12:59:23.754] [PowerShell Cmdlet]: get-exchangeserver -status -identity <Exchange server name>
[04/16 12:59:23 754] [PowerShell Cmdlet]: get-exchangeserver -status -identity <Exchange server name>
[12:59:23.911] [Remote PowerShell Cmdlet Error]:The syntax is not supported by this runspace. This can occur if the runspace is in no-language mode.
[04/16 12:59:23 912] [Remote PowerShell Cmdlet Error]:The syntax is not supported by this runspace. This can occur if the runspace is in no-language mode.

======================================

Please verify if you are seeing the same errors in your environment ,  it is an indication that Exchange Powershell cmdlets are failing.  

borismekler

Negative, I am not seeing these errors. get-exchangeserver -status -identity (servername) returns normal output.

DAR

We are getting an error 0 event with the following message when attempting to run a snapmanager backup.

There are no Storage Groups/Databases that are configured to be backed up by SnapManager

LW

Where is the log extract from (wich logfile?)

Normal powerhsell comands (in Exchange Shell) like  get-exchangeserver -status -identity run as expected.

In my case: The Windows schedule job runs but actually nothing happens and there is no log created under C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\Report\Backup.

Annelie

Yes, we have the exact same error in our logs for SnapManager for Exchagne.

No backups are going after the installation of the kb!

borismekler

For what it's worth, I've been advised by support to uninstall the security update. Since that would open the servers up to severety 9.8 remote code execution vulnerabilities, I'd rather forgo backups for a while, or even look for an alternative solution in general.

ADVUNIBN1

Is this only a SnapManager issue or is SnapCenter with this Exchange Patch also affected?

borismekler

SnapCenter (at least version 4.4P1) seems fine.

LW

Here ist the NetApp KB article: SME unable to see database after Exchange Security update KB5001779 - NetApp Knowledge Base
For me it is not an option to uninstall critical security updates. However, Exchange Server 2016 is  only supported up to CU11. Any newer CU is not supported and therefore I would not expect an solution by NetApp.

I have migrated to SnapCenter 4.4. (which was already runnig for SQL, VMWare and HANA). This is documented here

http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-44/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-isg%2FGUID-C3F798B8-5C60-4828-B0C5-48A666251066.html

Please note that you can not restore an SnapManager Snapshot with SnapCenter.

Backup and restore works fine with SnapCenter and the Exchange Scurity updates.

BenRi

We're using Snapmgr in 7mode. Snapcenter is not supported so we can 1. uninstall that KB, which is not an option  or 2. look at another backup software. Thats not a "solution" netapp...

NTAp-AVS

A Bug has been opened to address this issue . NetApp Engineering is actively working to get a workaround/solution

https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/bugs-online/product/SME/BURT/1393644

Please subscribe to this bug

Until a workaround/ solution is identified, only if you are able to (after assessing the security needs of your systems) , we recommend you to roll back the patch.

Here is the kb that documents

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/SnapManager_Suite/SME_unable_to_see_database_after_Exchange_Security_upd...

DAR1

Is there currently an issue with that bug page?, I am unable to load it here, it just shows loading...

We have reviewed our environment and we are unable to roll back the latest patch for security reasons.

Combato

We also have big issues with SnapManager 7.2.0

Can't roll back the patch either for the same reason (security).

Will need a solution pretty soon, otherwise we will go for another vendors product.

Hetim

We had exactly the same situation - no SME backups were possible since the security patch was installed.

Deinstallation of KB5001779 was possible (Exchange 2016 CU20) AND a solution for this issue: SME backups now are running fine again!

Of course running Exchange without this security patch is risky and thereford not a good solution - but running without backup is not aceptable at all.

We will migrate to SnapCenter as soon as possible.

Public