Data Backup and Recovery

IntelliSnap and tape to disk

rafaelkelles

Hi,

I know that IntelliSnap is Snapshot-copy aware solution. However, I´d like to know if we can configure tape device as disk instead of library. I have read FAQ and TR-3920 but I couldn´t find this information.

Can you clarify this to me?

Regards, Rafael.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sahana

Hi,

Data Movement to Tape The Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp solution supports several methods of replicating backup copies to tape, such as NDMP dump, SMTape, and tape streaming through MediaAgents. Dump is a Snapshot copy–based backup and recovery solution that backs up files and directories to tape and restores them to a storage system. SMTape is a Snapshot copy–based backup and recovery solution that backs up the required metadata and the data blocks of a FlexVol® volume to tape and restores them to a storage system. You can enable tape backups in the storage policy properties; under the Snapshot tab, select Enable Backup Copy. Note: Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp never backs up data directly to tape or to cloud storage. For Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp to do that, you must create a primary snap copy and then stream it—immediately delete it after the move of snap to media operation is completed, defer the operation to anytime, and source it from any additional snap copies. To stream data directly to tape or any other disk target, enable the Commvault capacity-based licensing model and manage everything from the same GUI

Refer page 21 of https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-3920.pdf

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Sahana

Hi,

Data Movement to Tape The Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp solution supports several methods of replicating backup copies to tape, such as NDMP dump, SMTape, and tape streaming through MediaAgents. Dump is a Snapshot copy–based backup and recovery solution that backs up files and directories to tape and restores them to a storage system. SMTape is a Snapshot copy–based backup and recovery solution that backs up the required metadata and the data blocks of a FlexVol® volume to tape and restores them to a storage system. You can enable tape backups in the storage policy properties; under the Snapshot tab, select Enable Backup Copy. Note: Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp never backs up data directly to tape or to cloud storage. For Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp to do that, you must create a primary snap copy and then stream it—immediately delete it after the move of snap to media operation is completed, defer the operation to anytime, and source it from any additional snap copies. To stream data directly to tape or any other disk target, enable the Commvault capacity-based licensing model and manage everything from the same GUI

Refer page 21 of https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-3920.pdf

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public