Data Backup and Recovery

Is re-running the SMSQL config wizard required when adding databases to existing LUNs?

arndt

In the 5.1 SMSQL IAG, it says this:

----------------------------------------

You can back up newly created databases with an existing scheduled job without
running the Configuration wizard first. If the scheduled backup job is created
when all databases in a server are selected, or you do not specify any database in
the new-backup cmdlet, the existing backup job can back up those newly created
databases. See new-backup cmdlet for more information. Another example of
when the Configuration wizard needs to be run is when a new database is added
using the SQL Management Studio.

----------------------------------------

So, if I add a new database using SQL Management Studio, to LUNs that already have databases on them that are part of my SMSQL configuration, do I need to re-run the config wizard?  The first part of this paragraph seems to indicate no, but the last sentence seems to indicate yes.  My lab testing shows that SMSQL picks up the new databases just fine, as long as I'm backing up all databases on the SQL instance with my backup job, so I'm inclined to think that re-running the config wizard is not required...but I'd just like to confirm. 

Thanks!

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

qzhang

Another example of when the Configuration wizard needs to be run is when a new database is added using the SQL Management Studio.

This is an error in the SMSQL IAG. You are right, you don’t need to run config wizard for newly added dbs.

Thanks,

-Qing

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

qzhang

Another example of when the Configuration wizard needs to be run is when a new database is added using the SQL Management Studio.

This is an error in the SMSQL IAG. You are right, you don’t need to run config wizard for newly added dbs.

Thanks,

-Qing

arndt

Thank you!

Public