Data Backup and Recovery

Issue with Snapdrive Integration

ANDREAS_JANKOWIAK

Dear all,

I have a problem regarding snapdrive integration in snapcreator within a fcp environment.

Versions:  snapdrive _5_2_1 for Unix (latest release) and snapcreator 4.1 P1.

Our systems run with VMware and have RDM LUNs connected which are snapped through snapdrive / snapcreator.

I now have the following problem:

1. creating snapshot via snapdrive on one linux system

# snapdrive snap create -vg VG_ERQ_SOFT -snapname test

Starting snap create /dev/mapper/VG_ERQ_SOFT

WARNING:  DO NOT CONTROL-C!

If snap create is interrupted, incomplete snapdrive

generated data may remain on the filer volume(s)

which may interfere with other snap operations.

Successfully created snapshot test on xxxx:/vol/ERQ_SOFT

--> Works

2. Connecting this snapshot

snapdrive snap connect -vg VG_ERQ_SOFT -snapname xxx:/vol/ERQ_SOFT:test -autorename -noreserve -clone unrestricted

connecting VG_ERQ_SOFT:

creating unrestricted volume clone xxx:/vol/Snapdrive_ERQ_SOFT_volume_clone_from_test_snapshot ... success

exporting new lun(s) to Guest OS ... done

discovering new lun(s) ... done

Importing VG_ERQ_SOFT-1_0

Successfully connected to snapshot xxx:/vol/ERQ_SOFT:test

disk group VG_ERQ_SOFT-1_0 containing host volumes

LV_DB2_ERQ_BIN_0 (filesystem: /db2/db2erq_0)

--> Works

3. When I create the snapshot via snapdrive and snapcreator (implementation via NTAP_SNAPSHOT_CREATE_CMD01=/opt/NetApp/snapdrive/bin/snapdrive snap create -vg VG_ERQ_SOFT -snapname %SNAME-%SNAP_TYPE_recent

the snapshot is created and snapcreator runs ok.

4. Now I want to connect the snapshot created via Snapcreator / Snapdrive and get errors:

snapdrive snap connect -vg VG_ERQ_SOFT -snapname xxx:/vol/ERQ_SOFT:sap_erq-daily_20140403163013 -autorename -noreserve -clone unrestricted

connecting VG_ERQ_SOFT:

creating unrestricted volume clone xxx:/vol/Snapdrive_ERQ_SOFT_volume_clone_from_sap_erqdaily_20140403163013_snapshot ... success

exporting new lun(s) to Guest OS ... done

WARNING: Couldn't delete .stoc.xml file from the root of Volume Clone xxxx

xxxx:/vol/Snapdrive_ERQ_SOFT_volume_clone_from_sap_erqdaily_20140403163013_snapshot

discovering new lun(s) ... done

Importing VG_ERQ_SOFT-1_0

Successfully connected to snapshot vsfcp01:/vol/ERQ_SOFT:sap_erq-daily_20140403163013

disk group VG_ERQ_SOFT-1_0 containing host volumes

LV_DB2_ERQ_BIN_0 (filesystem: /db2/db2erq_0)0009-054 Admin error: Failed to delete file /vol/Snapdrive_ERQ_SOFT_volume_clone_from_sap_erqdaily_20140403163013_snapshot/.snapdrive_lock on storage system xxxx : Mounting unjunctioned Volume Snapdrive_ERQ_SOFT_volume_clone_from_sap_erqdaily_20140403163013_snapshot in Vserver xxxx failed

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sivar

Hello Andreas,

It may be a lun length limitation - you can confirm it by testing against your test lun xxx:/vol/ERQ_SOFT:test from snapcreator.

The other thing could be the ZAPI that is used to delete .snapdrive_lock file is causing issues.

I agree it is being reported by snap creator. but, the reasoning comes from SDU, and I see registered BURTs against it.

Snap Drive support team will have more insight on this.

Thanks,

Siva Ramanathan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sivar

Hello Andreas,

My initial research points to a known bug of Snap Drive for Unix product.

Could you please request a NetApp support case and follow up with the snapdrive team?

(mention 0009-054 Admin error:)

Please let me know if you need any help.

Thanks,
Siva Ramanathan

ANDREAS_JANKOWIAK

Hi Siva,

thank you!   Of course I can request a NetApp Support case.....   but I wonder why snap connect works with a manually created snapshot via snapdrive and not with a snapshot via snapcreator.  The command I use is the same that snapcreator should use.

Maybe it's also a snapcreator issue?

Best Regards,

Andreas

sivar

Hello Andreas,

It may be a lun length limitation - you can confirm it by testing against your test lun xxx:/vol/ERQ_SOFT:test from snapcreator.

The other thing could be the ZAPI that is used to delete .snapdrive_lock file is causing issues.

I agree it is being reported by snap creator. but, the reasoning comes from SDU, and I see registered BURTs against it.

Snap Drive support team will have more insight on this.

Thanks,

Siva Ramanathan

ANDREAS_JANKOWIAK

Hi Siva,

thanks! The problem is the lun length limitation, after renaming the snapshot it works. Renaming the snapshot would be ok for me but not for our customers

Is there any better workaround or solution from NetApp?

Best Regards,

Andreas

Public