Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

LUNs - qtrees - VServer

CHRISTOPHULRICH

Hello NetApp Community,

I've attached an illustration of the hierarchy of the NetApp "storage fragmentation" which I made for the intern usage in my company. Now I want to know three things of which I am not really sure about:

1. On which position in the illustration can I put a qtree and what is the qtree for? I've read that its analog to a subdirectory in e.g. the Windows filesystem.
  2. Is the position of the LUN properly? I've read the following about a LUN and the reason of its usage:
  • "Some applications need local storage, they just can't seem to write data into a NAS (think CIFS or NFS) share.  Microsoft Exchange and SQL are this way.  They require local hard drives. So the solution is a LUN."
  • What else can I do with LUNs?

3.  On which position in the illustration can I put a VServer and what is the VServer for? I've read the following about VServers:

• "VServers are needed to serve data in a cluster. At least one VServer is needed in a cluster to serve data to the clients. A VServer can be stretched over more than one aggregate."
  • Could you tell me some more about VServers? Why do I need them, why can't a Windows client just map a CIFS share to get data?

I hope you can throw light on these topics for me.

Thank you in advance!

Greetings,

Christoph Ulrich

1 REPLY 1

radek_kubka

Hi Christoph and welcome to the Community!

Qtrees are basically folders/subdirectories within a NetApp volume - you can share a qtree, instead of a whole volume. You can also apply quotas to qtrees

You can also put a LUN inside a qtree, but it doesn't make much practical difference - unless you use SnapVault and/or Qtree SnapMirror replication.

VServer is specific to Cluster-Mode only (there is similar thing called vFiler in 7-Mide) & it is a sort of a virtual filer - you can do logical separation of your resources using it.

Regards,

Radek

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public