Data Backup and Recovery

Managing LUN's not created in snapdrive

ravindhar

I have got snapdrive 6.2 installed on a windows host 2008 R2, all the luns were created from the storage controller and presented to the host. Snapdrive can see the luns and can take snapshots and we are installing SMO on the host very soon and i believe SMO purely depends on snapdrive to quiesce the file system on the host. If we need to manage the luns on the whole do we need to have a downtime on the host to create the initiator group and connect the LUN using snapdrive.These LUN are accessed via fibrechannnel.Document says we need to shutdown the host but just need to confirm if I have understood incorrectly.

Steps would be:

• Shutdown the host
  • Take snapshot from the storage controller of the volume which holds the LUN
  • Unmap the luns from the initiator group
  • Restart the host
  • Create initiator group from the snapdrive
  • connect the luns using snapdrive to the initiator group from snapdrive

Part 2) My next question is when we install SMO do the snapmanager can see these LUNs and snapmanager can do backup's as normal. Usally when we install snapmanager product we migrate the data from the local drive to the LUN's in the storage.How does this step happens when Snapmanager can already see the LUN's from storage do we need to skip this step?

Regards,

Ravindhar

1 REPLY 1

i3_nheusel

The only difference between creating the LUNs from the filer versus SnapDrive is the way the initiator groups are created.  SnapDrive will automatically create the igroups on the filer and map the FC initiator(s) of the host.  If SnapDrive already detects and snaps the LUNs I think you are good to go.  A good test would be growing/shrinking a LUN from within SnapDrive.  If you want to use the automatic igroup just disconnect all the LUNs (assuming there's no data on them yet), delete the manually created igroups, and reconnect the LUNs from SnapDrive.

I'm not sure I understand your question for part 2.  The LUNs need to be present on the host (SnapDrive is a prerequisite) when installing Snapmanager.  Run the configuration to move the log and data files, etc., to the SAN and you're good to go.

Public