i need a little statement. We are running SQL Server 2012 with SnapManager. The databases are located on LUNs with a few driveletters (DB, TA, Logs). Now we have to backup and restore the database because we reached the end of the LUN-geometry. So we plan the following szenario:
1. Backup the running database. 2. Detach the database in SQL-Mgmt.
3. Detach the old LUNs (DB, TA, Logs).
4. Attach the new LUNs with new geometry and size (DB, TA, Logs).
5. Assign the old driveletters to the new LUNs
6. Restore the database-backup to the new LUNs
7. Attach the database and take it online.
8. Finish: All databases and drives should have the same names as before.
Question: Are there any dependency to the SnapManager installation? Or just we need to make a clean reboot and everything also the SnapManager Jobs should running fine?
If you are using SnapManager you could actually create the new LUNS, assign drive letters and then use SnapManager to migrate the data to the new LUNS. Here's a link that walks you through the process.