Data Backup and Recovery

Multiple clones from same DB volumes

cferbrache

I have a SnapCreator clone of an Informix production DB containing 5 volumes that gets refreshed every day at 4:30am and mounted up to a new server called Pegasus. This has been working fine. This pasted weekend I wanted to use SnapCreator to clone the same Production Informix DB to another server Asteroid. So I setup my new policy and pointed it to the new server Asteroid. When I ran the SnapCreator process to my surpise it removed the clone that I had to the original server Pegasus. Has anyone else ran into an issue cloning 1 DB to multiple servers using SnapCreator. Is there a setting that I am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

Yep SC 3.5 supports this. We changed the naming convention for clones to allow it to be more flexible. Just a warning done have a "-" in your config name, as that isnt allowed in a clone name and we now use config name as part of clone name.

Regards,

Keith

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ktenzer

Snap Creator clone policy NUM_CLONES is per volume so if NUM_CLONES=5 then SC will allow 5 clones for volumes listed in config. If you create two configs that number is still 5 and each time either config runs a clone will be deleted if you have more than 5 clones.

We dont support cloning to multiple systems at this time since we cant control when clones will be deleted if multiple configs are involved.

Hope this helps

Keith

cferbrache

Seems like being able to name the clone a specific name would resolve the issue of them getting removed. I was able to use SnapCreator to do the second clone by changing the NUM_CLONES parameter I then split the clone and renamed the clone once it was complete so that SnapCreator would not remove it. Do you know what would happen if I don't split the clone and just rename it? Would SnapCreator still be able to delete since it is not split?

ktenzer

Yep if you just rename without the "cl_" it will no longer be managed by SC so SC wont delete it.

If you do clone split and dont rename volume I believe SC might delete it but not 100% sure. If it is easy I would test it to be sure.

Generally renaming volume before doing split would be my recommendation, since at that point it should no longer be managed by SC.

Regards,

Keith

cferbrache

Do you know if this will be added at a later time? I need to do 3 clones from the same DB and now will not be able to automate this using SnapCreator.

ktenzer

So you need 3 sets of clones? And for them to be deleted in by separate configs?

We can certainly add this as feature request for future, shouldnt be too difficult

Regards,

Keith

cferbrache

Yes, that is correct.

ktenzer

Ok I will get with the devs. I think simply changing clone naming convention to cl_<config>_<volume>_<timestamp> would allow this to work.

Regards,

Keith

cferbrache

Has this been fixed in the new release?

ktenzer

Yep SC 3.5 supports this. We changed the naming convention for clones to allow it to be more flexible. Just a warning done have a "-" in your config name, as that isnt allowed in a clone name and we now use config name as part of clone name.

Regards,

Keith

cferbrache

Is an underscore ok in the name?

Public