Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

RBS location on snapmanage for sharepoint

GUVNIJJAR

I need some advice on snapmanager for sharepoint and the latest version 7.11, and on the RBS setup.  For the RBS you can setup a storage location on the filers where you want to store the documents which is the RBS.  I can setup a new volume for each RBS per web applicatiom or site in sharepoint, and then setup a CIFS share on it.

I wanted to ask for a rbs storage location, is it best to setup a volume or a qtree, any advantages of having either.

Any advice

4 REPLIES 4

Re: RBS location on snapmanage for sharepoint

gcheryl

Hello Gurvinder,

The best practice is to keep BLOB shares separate for each farm / SQL server instance. The Stub database for the farm will maintain reference pointers to externalize-retrieve BLOB content from NetApp CIFS shares. There is no real need for qtree to get RBS working correctly. But if you go with qtrees, keep a 1:1 ratio between volumes and qtrees.

If SnapVault integration is planned, the LUN should always be placed in a qtree.

Also place the SMSP index on a separate LUN/ CIFS share from that of the RBS data.

Regards,

Cheryl

GUVNIJJAR

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for the reply.

I was planning on setting a volume for RBS per a site collection as each site collection has its own content database.  But from your previous post you are saying you can create a volume for RBS per a sharepoint farm no matter how many content databases there are.

Also we do want to use snapvault integration eventually in the future, so do we need to setup a LUN  for the RBS location, as I read somewhere you can only setup the volume or qtree as a cifs share for RBS only.

gcheryl

Hello Gurvinder,

The general guideline is to choose create a volume for RBS per a sharepoint farm. Although you choose to setup a volume for RBS per site collection as well.

You're right, setup a qtree for RBS in order to leverage the Netapp SnapVault feature later.

Regards,

Cheryl

GUVNIJJAR

Thanks for the reply back Cheryl.

I am going to setup a volume, qtree and then enable cifs for this qtree and enable this for RBS for the whole sharepoint farm.  I guess we cant use luns for RBS,

Also i want to utlilize the sync data to associated physical devices as part of the logical device setup, is there any impact on using this feature.  I want to create 2 physical devices on under 2 different filers, so that data from rbs gets synced between 2 filers.  Is this a recommended setup, is there any performance impact, should it be best if the physical devices are on the same filer.

Thanks

2021 NetApp Partner Experience Survey
PES Banner
All Community Forums
Public