Data Backup and Recovery

SC and PM integration to register multiple hourly backups on primary but only propagate daily backup to the SnapVault destination.

adaikkap

While registering a backup with Protection Manager there is an attribute called is-for-propagation in dp-backup-version-create Api

is-for-propagation

boolean
optional

Indicates whether or not this backup version should be propagated according to the data protection policy. If false, the backup version will not be propagated to other nodes. Once a backup version is created, this property cannot be modified. Default value is true.

Does Snapcreator today use this ?  This would help SC and PM integration to register multiple hourly backups on primary but only propagate daily backup to the SnapVault destination.

I am currently working with customer who extensively uses SC with PM integration for their databases. They take once every 4 hours and daily @ 20:00 snapshot on the primary and would like to vault only the daily snapshot to secondary/snapvault destination and not all the hourly snapshot taken once every 4 hour.

If SC provides a way for me to turn on or off the element is-for-propagation in the config I can achieve what they are looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help, they are currently using version 3.6

Regards

adai

1 REPLY 1

clilescapario

The snap creator debug log will show the contents of the api call to protection manager. I don't see it setting the is-for-propagation flag.

Just wanted to point out that I was doing some testing for another thread with a SM->SV cascade policy in protection manager. SC will take the snapshot on the primary, then register the snapshot w/ PM and start an on-demand backup job. The cascade policy I have configured has 0 hourly configured in the SV retention, with this setting PM will only update the SM and not do anything on the SV. This is the behavior on SC 4.0 and OnCommand 5.2.

Thanks,

Chris

Public