Data Backup and Recovery

SC and exchange

f_duranti

Hi, I'll try to setup backup for exchange during this week using SC.

I would like to know if using the SME plugin it's also supported to register backup with PM and let PM do the snapmirror update/snapvault update instead of doing it with SME.

What about the options? Should I put those one because SME will do the snapshot/snapdelete?

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_DISABLE=Y

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=Y

what about the naming convention of snapshot ? Does SC recognize the SME snapshot (they're named differently at least from what I see (the -daily is at the end and there's the full timestamp)?

Any good example on how to run it?

Thanks

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

Hi Francesco,

SME is not supported with registering in PM that goes for any SnapManager. Remember every SM and SC have different naming conventions and SC doesnt understand the SM naming conventions.

All you can do is simply run SM remotely, so SC gives you central mgmt of SM but no additional features.

You would set the following for any SMs:

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_DISABLE=Y

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=Y

Hope this helps

Keith

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ktenzer

Hi Francesco,

SME is not supported with registering in PM that goes for any SnapManager. Remember every SM and SC have different naming conventions and SC doesnt understand the SM naming conventions.

All you can do is simply run SM remotely, so SC gives you central mgmt of SM but no additional features.

You would set the following for any SMs:

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_DISABLE=Y

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=Y

Hope this helps

Keith

f_duranti

It will be really nice in a "future" version to have SC recognize the Snapshot name from SME/SMSQL/SMVI ... It will really help

Thanks for the fast answer.

Francesco

ktenzer

Agreed

Problem is the level of effort...it is massive but we are re-writing the scServer so as part of that the new architecture for SC should be able to handle SMs (this is one of a few reasons for re-write)...however this effort wont be available till sometime in 2012 so be patient, it wont happen with next release 3.5.0.

Regards,

Keith

Public