Data Backup and Recovery

SMHV Error - Storage Footprint not available

TLOUREYNEXON

Hi all,

I'm setting up SnapManager for Hyper-V. All seems to be setup correctly however when I run the job manually (not scheduled) I get the following error.

[26/07/2013 7:41:09 PM, (18)] Preparing for backup of VM-Name[Hyper-V]

[26/07/2013 7:41:09 PM, (18)] Failed to take backup of VM VM-Name[Hyper-V] as storage system footprint for the VM is not available

I'm running on a 2x3210's running 7 mode in HA, all VHD's on a CSV lun via iSCSI, SMHV 1.2, SDW 6.4.1

Any ideas?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

shrao

Hi Tim,

Could you please upload the Snapdrive logs?

Thanks,

Santhosh

CLIFFMILLINER

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this I am seeing the same problem for some of my VM's

Regards

Cliff

shrao

Could you please check if the SDW transport protocol settings are set correctly?

Also, could you please execute the command -  "sdcli disk list"  and see if shows VHD paths of the VM that failed.

Thanks,

Santhosh

CLIFFMILLINER

Hi Santhosh,

I have ran that command, and have an interesting result. For your info I have 2 CSV’s in this cluster VM’s on CSV 2 are backing up fine but Vm’s on CSV1 are failing.

I can see both CSV from the command and I can see one difference , CSV2 is set to “Shared:Yes” and CSV 1 is Set to “Shared: No”, Also snap drive says this disk type is Dedicated rather than clustered.

Any ideas why they are different, and how I change CSV 1 to Clustered type.

Regards

Cliff

Cliff Milliner

Technical Director

Extrinsica Global Limited

T +44 1865 987 436

M +44 7899 940 872

W extrinsicaglobal.com<http://www.extrinsicaglobal.com/>

shrao

Hi Cliff,

Did you add a new node or remove the node in the cluster recently?

Also, what is Snapdrive version and the Windows OS version?

Thanks,

Santhosh

CLIFFMILLINER

Hi,

No we haven’t added any new nodes recently, but we have only just started using SMHV to back up the VM’s

Snapdrive is 6.5

SMHV 1.2

OS is server 2012 core

I have read a few netapp forums that say backups will fail if the disk type is dedicated not clustered. Is there a way to change the disk type to clustered so it’s the same as the CSV that is working?

Regards

Cliff Milliner

Technical Director

Extrinsica Global Limited

T +44 1865 987 436

M +44 7899 940 872

W extrinsicaglobal.com<http://www.extrinsicaglobal.com/>

jim_ctr_merrell

Were you able to figure this out?   I'm having the same problem.

EDWARD_SMITH

Having this same issue myself as well, surprised to see no comments over couple of years!

Seems to be intermittent, but going to have a look and see if I can find a solution! Will post any findings.

ITSupportHollandBPW

After running SMHV without issue for years, I now have discovered this issue on our cluster.  Does anyone have an answer?  Thanks.

Public