Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

Highlighted

SMHV and distributed backup

Gents,

Can anyone shed a light to the following questions.

SMHV 2.1, Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster, two nodes.

Two CSV volumes: one for VMs, another for Snapinfo.

I enabled distributed [application consistent] backup in the backup policy settings.

There is only a few words about distributed backup in the SMHV guide:

The distributed application-consistent backup feature enables multiple VMs running on

the partner cluster nodes to be consistent in a single hardware Snapshot copy made from the backup

node. This feature is supported for all the VMs running on a CSV 2.0 Windows volume across

multiple nodes in a Windows Failover Cluster. To use this feature, select the Applicationconsistent

backup type and select the Enable Distributed Backup check box.

As I can see, SMHV created a scheduled backup job on each cluster node.

My question:   How can I run a backup job manually ? Where it should be started ? Which node ?

We use post-backup script which saves $VMSnapshot in the text file.

Where post-backup script will be started if we use distributed backup ? On both nodes ?

Why Reports are located on only one node ? How should my script recognize, where is located the latest report ?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: SMHV and distributed backup

Hi,

you can use the 'New-Backup' command let in order to launch a new backup manually or with a script.

You can also manually kick off a windows scheduled task manually or via a script.

The job should start from the cluster's quorum owner.

how to find it out: In Windows 2008, you open cmd and type "cluster group" and check who owns the cluster group.

Similarly, in Windows 2012, you open a powershell with administrative priviledges and type: "get-clustergroup" and check who owns the cluster group.

with scripts, you can extract the node name from the output and launch the script on that node.

hope that helps,

Domenico

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums