Data Backup and Recovery

SMO-What's really supported

gmilazzoitag

Hi all,

very often is quite complex to determine with Snapmanager for Oracle which is the right combination of o.s, cluster, Oracle configuration and so on that's really supported and working.

To do that the IMT and the release notes of a lot of products must be crossed.

My question is very simple. Assuming Data Ontap 8.x and a FC SAN environment which combination of X64 operating systems, cluster protection (MSCS failsafe, Linux, RAC...) for an active/passive Oracle and, of course, Snapmanager for Oracle which are the environment really supported and working?

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

naveenh

I know what you are saying. Your question is more oriented towards the search criteria associated with the IMT. And I agree, sometimes it gets complex when you have multiple components involved. Now my suggestion to you is: first let's get the IMT search criteria clarified and then we can move onto the SMO support. Is that ok?

You will notice a link to the user guide on the top right corner. This is usually the starting point to understand the overall search criteria. This will help you traverse through the IMT meaningfully.

• Next is to find the storage solution in the tool, say for example SMO:

In the center of the page towards the top you will notice a “storage solution” icon where “SAN” is selected as default. Now your objective is to look for “SMO” and therefore it’s time for you to change your default option to “SMO”. Click on change and select “SMO” located under the “standard solutions” radio button and down under the category: Software -> Management Software -> Database Suite - > SnapManager for Oracle (SMO).

• Your next step is to select the most demanding feature requirement that you have in your environment say MSCS or any other host clustering functionality. Don’t select any SMO release, ONTAP release or any SDU release at this point in time, this is just to give list of all available SMO releases that support all of your key features requirements. And then you can choose to select show results.

Fine tune your search criteria if it shows too many results in the “configuration found”. Please let me know if that answers your query.

Thanks, Naveen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

naveenh

Hello,

This is typically a deployment consideration question. I am assuming you have access to the NetApp support site.

Please download the latest release of SMO "Installation and Administration Guide" from http://support.netapp.com (you will be asked to enter your login details along with your password) and then look for the following sections:

"Supported host software"

"Supported general configurations"

"Clustered configurations".

I hope these will answer all your questions in detail. Please feel free to reply if there is anything else required.

Thanks, Naveen

gmilazzoitag

I know it. Your suggestion is a good starting point but the manual anyway resend me to the IMT...I.e., for clustered configuration a statement in the SMO IAG is done:

SnapManager supports the same host cluster and HA pair configurations that the SnapDrive product and Host Utilities Kit support: sometime this is quite complex to determine. Anyway I'll repeat a double check in the IMT.

And doing this I immediately found something strange. Putting FC Host Utilities, Microsoft Clustering in the matrix with FC SAN and Data ONTAP 7.x/8.x I found that Snapdrive (certain versions of course) is supported. Clicking on the SMO field the IMT answer that "there's no related info" while clicling on SME, SMSQL or SMSP there are the list of supported environment. Why? SMO is not supported while the guide says that in MSCS is?

Thanks a lot

naveenh

I know what you are saying. Your question is more oriented towards the search criteria associated with the IMT. And I agree, sometimes it gets complex when you have multiple components involved. Now my suggestion to you is: first let's get the IMT search criteria clarified and then we can move onto the SMO support. Is that ok?

You will notice a link to the user guide on the top right corner. This is usually the starting point to understand the overall search criteria. This will help you traverse through the IMT meaningfully.

• Next is to find the storage solution in the tool, say for example SMO:

In the center of the page towards the top you will notice a “storage solution” icon where “SAN” is selected as default. Now your objective is to look for “SMO” and therefore it’s time for you to change your default option to “SMO”. Click on change and select “SMO” located under the “standard solutions” radio button and down under the category: Software -> Management Software -> Database Suite - > SnapManager for Oracle (SMO).

• Your next step is to select the most demanding feature requirement that you have in your environment say MSCS or any other host clustering functionality. Don’t select any SMO release, ONTAP release or any SDU release at this point in time, this is just to give list of all available SMO releases that support all of your key features requirements. And then you can choose to select show results.

Fine tune your search criteria if it shows too many results in the “configuration found”. Please let me know if that answers your query.

Thanks, Naveen

gmilazzoitag

This is really great!

Thanks a lot.

jessick

Sorry to perhaps be redundant, but wanted to emphasize a few points that will help in using the IMT.

First, for higher order apps such as SnapDrive and SnapManager, you cannot expect to get valid and complete results without comparing your search criteria over the multiple, dependant, Storage Solutions.  In this case: SAN<->SDU<->SMO or SAN<->SDW<->SMO

Within the IMT, the feature or process is referred to as "End-to-End Views."

I've attached a .pdf of search results for a RHEL system suggesting SDU and SMO support.

So building on Naveen's previous reponses, what I would ask is you continue the same effort and either work down (end-to-end) from SMO to SDU or SDW and on to Linux SAN or Windows SAN.

Once you can trace your configuration across those three Storage Solutions, you can confirm support for your config.

-Mark

Public