Data Backup and Recovery

SMSQL 5.1 and SnapMgrMountPoint Issue

elarin010

All,

I'm running into a new dilema regarding SMSQL 5.1 backup and restore that I wasn't seeing in 5.0. For my SQL job that performs transaction log backups, the command line originally included the text "-mp  –mpdir 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SnapMgrMountPoint'". This worked fine in 5.0. But with 5.1, SMSQL errors out with the message "Mount point directory path for mounting snapshot on clustered instance should be a share disk on the SQL Server cluster group." Fine. I created a new folder named SnapMgrMountPoint on the root of my root mount point and changed the command line to be "-mp  –mpdir 'I:\SnapMgrMountPoint'". The job runs fine now.

So yesterday, I had to perform a restore on a database. SMSQL errored out with the message "Operating System does not support mounting non-shared disk on a shared volume. Please change disk type or select different mount point". So the restore operation doesn't like the MountPointDir to be on a shared disk which is what the backup complains about. Changing the MountPointDir registry value back to 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SnapMgrMountPoint' fixes the restore operation.

So what's the deal here? How do I fix the backup vs restore constraints regarding SnapMgrMountPoint?

SMSQL 5.1

SQL 2008 SP1 Active/Passive Cluster

Using mount points for SQL directories

Thanks,

Erick

21 REPLIES 21

muebles1111

I'm running into a new dilema regarding SMSQL 5.1 backup and restore that I wasn't seeing in 5.0. For my SQL job that performs transaction log backups, the command line originally included the text "-mp  –mpdir 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SnapMgrMountPoint'". This worked fine in 5.0. But with 5.1, SMSQL errors out with the message "Mount point directory path for ...

muebles rusticos

*Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end*

Public