Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

SMSQL and filegroups

radek_kubka

Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on the subject of SMSQL and databases with more than one filegroup? So far I found existing documentation almost non-existent, with the exception of few hints here & there.

Whilst it is possible to share the same set of LUNs (one for log, one for data) across multiple databases with just the default filegroup, it seems that a database with multiple filegroups requires its own LUNs.

Can someone confirm what is true for a database with multiple filegroups:

• it requires minimum two LUNs for data: one for primary filegroup & one (or more) for any additional filegroups
  • there is no (there is?) requirement for a dedicated LUN for logs, i.e. a shared LUN for logs can (cannot?) be used for this database & other databases logs
  • there is no (there is?) requirement for dedicated volumes, i.e. single set of volumes can (cannot?) be used for this database & other databases LUNs (one volume for log LUNs, one for data LUNs, etc.)

I'm trying to test all this with SMSQL 6 & SQL 2012, but the configuration wizard fails each time, even when the most radical approach is used, i.e. exclusive LUNs & volumes for my test database with two filegroups (see the error message).

Any hints, suggestions, comments?

Thanks,

Radek

1 REPLY 1

radek_kubka

I moved databases manually to bypass config wizard problem.

So far it looks as follows:

• a dedicated LUN for logs is needed, otherwise all databases with logs in shared LUN are marked as invalid for backup in SMSQL
  • shared volumes are fine
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public