Data Backup and Recovery

SQL Snapmanager and VMDK backups

GARYWADAPT

I've been trying to wrap my head around using SQL Snapmanager for databases on a VMDk, I've used it with iSCSI luns before but never with VMDK's.

From what I've read it seems to be fairly straightforward with just a 'sdcli smvi_config set -host VSC Server IP' command required to link SQL snapmanager to VSC.

However, the Snapmanger docs also talk about some registry changes but that only seems to be required if there are snapmirrors involved and for this particular setup there won't be.

So bascially I just need to know if setting up SQL Snapmanager is that easy and do I get the ability to pick and choose databases in the same way that I would if this was being hosted on an iSCSI lun?

Also, I've seen some references to creating some sort of 'dr text' file for restores - is this actually required or is that for something else?

Finally, I take it that the SQL snapmanager needs to have IP connectivity to the server running the VSC plugin for this solution to work?

It would be good if there was a technote on setting up SQL Snapmanager for VMDK's

Many thanks for this.

Gary.

16 REPLIES 16
Public