Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

Scheduling monthly snap shot

MOHAMEDAQTHAR

Hello,

Currently in our environment we have scheduled weekly, daily and hourly snap shots. Is there a way to schedule  monthly shot to be retained for a period of 6 months. Experts please let me know how can we achieve this.

2 REPLIES 2

resqme914

I don't think you can do this using CLI or System Manager.  I think Protection Manager can do it, but unless you're already using Protection Manager, I don't think it would be worth the effort of setting up Protection Manager just to schedule monthly snapshots.  If I were tasked to do this, I would probably look into using a Windows or Unix host to "schedule" a monthly task/script to take the snapshots and manage the retention of the snapshots.  We already have a "SAN Manager" windows server that does a bunch of these "administrative" tasks like schedule daily perfstats, act as our DFM server, etc.

Hi,

Keeping 26 or 30 weekly snapshots would have a similar effect. Other than that I would use a Unix shell script using SSH to do it. If you're not Unix you should be able to use PowerShell or SnapDrive for Windows (if a Windows lun) and the task scheduler.

What is the platform and protocol you are using?

Richard

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public