Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter 4.1P3 - SQL Verification Always Failing

Jeremy_Stanley

Trying this again since my last (only) post (attempt) was quickly marked as spam and subsequently deleted... going to copy pasta since I  happend to leave the tab with the post open.

vCenter 6.5, everything is presented via NFS.

SQL Backups are working, but verification is always failing.

We have 2 separate servers for offloading verification.

The run as account is admin on both servers; it is sysadmin in both SQL instances.

All verifications fail with essentially the same error(s.)

2019-05-13T05:57:56.8981181-08:00 ERROR SMCore_36898 PID=[4764] TID=[33] [Verification] Backup verification failed for 'sqlp\PRODUCTION\PHINMSG' database with below error. A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start. A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start. CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'C:\scmnpt\mpdisk0326\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.PRODUCTION\MSSQL\Data\PHINMS_Message.mdf_MSSQL_DBCC6'. The database snapshot for online checks could not be created. Either the reason is given in a previous error or one of the underlying volumes does not support sparse files or alternate streams. Attempting to get exclusive access to run checks offline.

This morning, a different SQL instance had left a total of 8 orphaned volumes on the NetApp, and those 8 vols were left attached to one of the verification VMs.

I've validated NTFS permissions.

I even explicitly add the run as account with no change.

The SQL logs report the same error.

We have another identical setup in a different datacenter, using same run as account, that is successful with SQL verification and offloading.

I've searched and searched for what all occurs for the verification process, but I have found no documentation that clearly details the steps taken for the verification process.

Where do I need to look?

2 REPLIES 2

Kim_L_Hansen

May not be the same as your issue, but i encountered similar error when the SQL Server serviceaccount on the verification server (domain\svc-sql-verify) was different than the SQL service account on source SQL server (domain\svc-sql-accounty).

If this is the same in your case, you can try giving the verification SQL Server serviceaccount full control to the files on the source SQL Server.

Jeremy_Stanley

So I did forget to mention that.

We are using managed service accounts on our SQL instances.

The SnapCenter Run As service account has also been added as an administrator on all the SQL boxes along with also being given sysadmin on all the SQL instances.

So it has full perms to all SQL servers and SQL instances that are being backed up via SnapCenter.

Public