Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter file-based backup for SAP HANA MDC with multiple tenants

Spaceball

Hi,

As "Snapshot backup of HANA 2.x MDC with multiple tenant" is not supported by SAP now, I'd like to know if

at least the "file-based backup of HANA MDC with multiple tenants" is possible with SnapCenter....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nils_Bauer

For a file-based backup of a HANA single container, SnapCenter is executing a single SQL backup statement.

- Backup data using file ...

For a file-based backup of a HANA MDC single tenant system SnapCenter executes the backup of the SystemDB as well as the backup of the tenant DB using two SQL commands.

- Backup data for systemdb ...

- Backup data for <tenant name> ...

For a file-based backup of an MDC multiple tenant system, SnapCenter would need to execute the backup of the SystemDB as well as a  backup for each tenant. This is not implemented in SnapCenter and therefore won't work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nils_Bauer

No, SnapCenter can't execute file-based backups  for SAP HANA MDC multiple tenant systems.

Spaceball

first, I have to correct myselfe, I shoud have asked if SnapCenter can do file-based backups of HANA 1.0 MDC Multitenant.

I figured out that there is a difference at the sqlcli backup command string formed by snapcenter, depending on what type of hana resorce is created at SnapCenter Resource configuration:

• chosing single container: the backup command looks like 
    backup data using file ('SnapCenter_hostname_hana_sid_hostname_date_time') asynchronous
  • chosing multitenant database container: it looks like
    BACKUP DATA FOR SYSTEMDB USING FILE ('SC_SnapCenter_hostname_hana_sid_tenant_hostname_date_time') ASYNCHRONOUS COMMENT 'hostname_hana_sid_tenant_hostname_date_time'

the comment statement is not supported on hana 1.0, so the file-backup failed.

the same string executed in hana sqlcli (hana 2.0 MDC single tenant) works (also with the comment statement.

I still have some tests outstanding with hana 2.0 MDC multitenant.

So, as it looks now: it seems to be possible to me hat SnapCenter based fiel-backup of hana 2.0 mdc, multitenant will work.

I'll keep you updated.

Nils_Bauer

For a file-based backup of a HANA single container, SnapCenter is executing a single SQL backup statement.

- Backup data using file ...

For a file-based backup of a HANA MDC single tenant system SnapCenter executes the backup of the SystemDB as well as the backup of the tenant DB using two SQL commands.

- Backup data for systemdb ...

- Backup data for <tenant name> ...

For a file-based backup of an MDC multiple tenant system, SnapCenter would need to execute the backup of the SystemDB as well as a  backup for each tenant. This is not implemented in SnapCenter and therefore won't work.

Public