Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

SnapCreator 4.1 and Lotus Domino 9.x in a VMware VM

mhauke

Hi there,

I have a customers that would like to run virtualized Lotus Domino Servers and use SnapCreator to create app-consistend snapshots.

They would like to use Fibre Channel as the connection protocol. The customer would also like to use single item restore.

There are multiple question:

a) Can the Lotus Domino data be residing in a FC mapped data store? Dedicated data store and vmdk for Lotus Notes?

b) Can I use raw device mapping (RDM) to map a FC LUN into the VM and put the Lotus Domino Data there?

I know that iSCSI LUN directly into the VM would work, but that is not possible at this customer. I'm also aware that to use single item restore in a SAN environment there are multiple steps.

Hyper visor is VMWARE ESX 5.5

DataStores mounted via FibreChannel

Guest OS is Windows 2012 R2

SnapDrive installed: yes

Lotus Notes 9.x

Netapp FAS8020 7mode 8.2.x

Thanks in advance,

Marko

2 REPLIES 2

spinks

Marko,

While this will work in a FC environment, I would recommend using RDM LUNs as opposed to using VMDKs.

Snap Creator can't see within a VMDK, and as such we will not be able to perform a single file restore operation.

However a RDM LUN will work fine.

Please note that using a RDM LUN will require you to use the --custom action to perform a single file restore, this is a CLI only operation.

Since you're looking at Windows you will also want to be sure to use SnapDrive for Windows through Snap Creator.

Be sure to check out TR-4009 (http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4009.pdf) for details as well as the YouTube channel, SnapCreatorTV (https://www.youtube.com/user/SnapCreatorTV)

Hope this helps.

John

mhauke

Hi spinks,

that helps a great deal.

Thanks

Marko

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public