SnapDrive 6.4.1 for Windows authenticate with Cluster-Mode

mrinal

[Forwarding email from dl-cmode-ses with a question to the SnapDrive team]

Sent: 19 October 2012 07:57
To: McMath, David; Feng, Shen; c-dl-cmode-ses; c-dl-cmet; dl-snapdrive
Cc: Parisi, Justin; Rao(TME), Santhosh
Subject: RE: SnapDrive 6.4.1 for Windows authenticate with C-Mode

[Including dl-snapdrive]

I cannot explain why SDW needs access to licensing capability on the clustershell. Maybe someone from dl-snapdrive can.

Regards,

Mrinal Devadas

Storage Infrastructure Architect

Mobile: +44 (0) 7920 284 970

NetApp

Sent: 18 October 2012 20:52
To: Devadas, Mrinal; Feng, Shen; c-dl-cmode-ses; c-dl-cmet

So I can see the SnapMirror issue – Without a connection to the cluster, it says SnapMirror: No – After I add the connection it shows the below (volume is mirrored obviously).

But can you explain licencing, if the customer has a bundle of some kind that would include SDW does that mean they’ll have to setup a connection to the cluster to allow snapshots etc?

I’m thinking about a customer here who is planning on using this for Exchange 2010 DAGs and therefore won’t be using SnapMirror (but will be using controller licencing) – They’ll almost certainly ask why I’m connecting to both. The TR-4000 attached earlier in the email thread says connect to both, with no explanation why, and no example circumstances when you don’t actually need to connect to the cluster.

Cheers

Dave

David McMath
Senior Professional Services Consultant – Cluster-Mode CMET

NetApp
+44 (0)7824 343 603 Mobile

+44 (0)161 492 5422 VoIP Phone

1. David.McMath@netapp.com
    www.netapp.com

NetApp UK Limited is a limited company registered in England & Wales. Registered Number: 02998329.  Registered Address: Waterview House, 1 Roundwood Avenue, Stockley Park, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB11 1EJ. 

This electronic transmission (and any attached document) is for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It is confidential and may be attorney/client privileged. In any event the sender reserves, to the fullest extent, any "legal advice privilege".  Any further distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the attached message (and all attached documents).

Sent: 18 October 2012 19:00
To: McMath, David; Feng, Shen; c-dl-cmode-ses; c-dl-cmet

Hi David,

You are following the correct procedure. The cluster admin account is needed for cluster-wide tasks such as setting up SnapMirror relations to other clusters and to managing licenses of the cluster.

Regards,

Mrinal Devadas

Storage Infrastructure Architect

Mobile: +44 (0) 7920 284 970

NetApp

Sent: 18 October 2012 17:52
To: Feng, Shen; c-dl-cmode-ses; c-dl-cmet

Sorry to Hijack the thread.

Has anything changed in SDW 6.4.2 as I’ve just configured this, admittedly against a vsim, but I only had to add vsadmin for the Vserver and it allowed me to configure iSCSI sessions, and create a test LUN and browse all volumes on the Vserver or am I doing something stupid here?

Surely for basic configurations we shouldn’t have to add the cluster management credentials.?!?! If so, when will this be addressed for our security conscious customers?

DJMCLUSTER01::> net int show -vse DJMVSERVER01 -rol data -data-protocol none

(network interface show)

Logical    Status Network Current       Current Is

Vserver Interface  Admin/Oper Address/Mask Node Port    Home

----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------ ------------- ------- ----

DJMVSERVER01

DJMVSERVER01_MGMT

up/up    192.168.99.48/24   DJMCLUSTER01-01

e0c true

Am I missing something?

From: owner-dl-cmode-ses@netapp.com [mailto:owner-dl-cmode-ses@netapp.com] On Behalf Of Feng, Shen
Sent: 17 October 2012 17:17
To: c-dl-cmode-ses

1. It’s solved after I added both Cluster mgmt. IP/account and Vserver mgmt. IP/account into the “Transport Protocol Settings”, followed the TR-4000 (a lucky numberJ).

Thanks a lot for all response!!!

Thanks and Regards,

冯伸  Feng, Shen

Technical Consultant

NetApp

86 21 6132 8065 Direct

86 13901999082 Mobile

1. shen.feng@netapp.com
    www.netapp.com

From: owner-dl-cmode-ses@netapp.com [mailto:owner-dl-cmode-ses@netapp.com] On Behalf Of Feng, Shen
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:53 PM
To: c-dl-cmode-ses
Subject: SnapDrive 6.4.1 for Windows authenticate with C-Mode

Hi experts,

I installed SDW and tried to connect to C-Mode. It¡¯s SDW 6.4.1 and C-Mode 8.1.1.

I have added the C-Mode into the “Transport Protocol Settings” successfully and it seems SDW could identify the Vserver automatically, but when create disk I cannot draw down the “Storage System Name” list to select Vserver, and whatever I enter the IP address of Cluster/node/Vserver/NAS it always fail. I know for 7-Mode it’s simple to enter the storage node here, but not certain what should I do with C-Mode.

Any suggestion about this?

Here are the screen snapshot.

Thanks and Regards,

冯伸  Feng, Shen

Technical Consultant

NetApp

86 21 6132 8065 Direct

86 13901999082 Mobile

1. shen.feng@netapp.com
    www.netapp.com
1 REPLY 1

shrao

SDW would require cluster admin credentials only for : SnapMirror, ASUP and Snapshot scheduling.

All the other features like snapshots etc., should work with Vserver credentials.

For SnapRestore/iSCSI/FCP/SnapRestore - license checking will be skipped by SDW, storage system will enforce license checking for related operations.

-Santhosh

Public