Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

SnapDrive for Windows unable to do a SnapRestore - affects recovery time in SMO for Windows.

mikemil

Good afternoon,

I understand that SnapManager (Oracle in Windows for this example) uses SnapDrive to do most all its heavy lifting however SMO doesn’t seem to utilise a "proper" SnapRestore and rather a lunclone to do the work in a windows recovery situation.

A Lun clone (which is SLOW and SPACE hungry) is currently used by SMO for windows and to be frank is causing significant discomfort in at 2 customers.  I do know we can increase the number of copy threads and hopefully reduce recovery times however, it still isnt as nice as a snaprestore to minimise recovery times.  I do understand there are configuration prerequisites that are required to allow a snaprestore to happen, even in Unix environments.

I have been advised that no snaprestore support is a SDW limitation, can anyone help me understand how SnapDrive for Windows is unable to undertake a SnapRestore and if there are plans to fix this? Is there someone I need to be speaking with?

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Mike Miller

SE, Perth, Western Australia.

1 REPLY 1

vrishali

fghgjgfjjg

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public