Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

SnapManager Hyper-V & Snapshot Labels & Protection

CHMOELLER

Hey guys

I'm rather new to the "clustered" world - I'm sure I'm missing something supremely obvious here but I am really kind of stuck in terms of setting up Hyper-V snapshots with replication on a new cDOT (9.1 btw) cluster.

Here's what I did in the "7-mode world" - I set up SnapManager Hyper-V to create regular snapshots. I then had a powershell script that initiated a snapvault transfer using the latest SMHV snapshot to the NearStore and created the Snapvault snapshot. All good.

Now ... I'm kind of stuck. The "new" snapmirror / snapvault (or mirrror-and-vault) requires snapshot-labes to be set, because it only pulls these snapshots, yes? Now - now on earth do I get SMHV to attach snapshot labels to the snapshots? Because the only way I have found so far is to apply a snapshot policy to the volume.

Which is of course not what I want - because I want application consistent snapshots, a "storage-side" snapshot policy is no good for me here.

Please, what am I missing?

Thanks guys!

2 REPLIES 2

SYNTAXERROR

Hi

The "Backup management group" reflects the snapmirror-labels you will get. Daily, weekly or smhv_daily for example.

You can also check it on the storage system:

snap show HYPERV_VOLUME -fields snapmirror-label

There is also an excellent KB about this "problem":

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka11A0000001NnZQAU/snapmanager-integration-set-up-attempt-with-snapmirror-xdp-results-in-snapmanager-showing-t...

Kind regards

Dario

CHMOELLER

Hey

thank you for your reply - it's working now. The problem was that for the SnapManager to do it's job properly not only do the transport protocol settings have to be there - the default (rpc) also has to be disabled.

Also I managed to get the snap labels set with the powershell-toolkit in case a solution can't handle this properly. 

Regards

Chris

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public