Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for Exchange 2010 - retainutmbackups option

KernelPanic

Hello all, we're using the following command to backup our DAG daily:

new-backup -Server 'EXCH-DAG-01' -ClusterAware  -GenericNaming  -ManagementGroup 'Daily' -RetainBackups 14 -RetainUtmBackups 2 -UseMountPoint  -MountPointDir 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\SnapMgrMountPoint' -RemoteAdditionalCopyBackup $False -PassiveDatabaseOnly -ActivationPreference 2 -Verify  -VerificationServer 'EXCH-01'

From my understanding, the -RetainUtmBackups 2 option will keep all the transaction logs for the last two backups which should allow me to specify an arbitrary time between the full backups to do a restore - is this correct?

I only ask as when I attempt to do this it doesn't let me, I only have the option to restore from the daily backup snapshot.

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

Sahana

Hi,

Please refer the settings for RetainUtmBackups : https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1138417/html/html/GUID-7896DF1A-49CB-4136-BB3E-5EA59CEDF3F6.html

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

KernelPanic

Thanks for the link but I'm still not clearer on what -retainutmbackups actually does - does it keep a copy of the transaction logs even though they're being truncated by the full backups? Given the PowerShell command I posted why can I not restore to a specific point in time from the last two days as I have '-retainutmbackups 2'

Public