Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

SnapManager for Exchange 2010 - retainutmbackups option

KernelPanic

Hello all, we're using the following command to backup our DAG daily:

new-backup -Server 'EXCH-DAG-01' -ClusterAware  -GenericNaming  -ManagementGroup 'Daily' -RetainBackups 14 -RetainUtmBackups 2 -UseMountPoint  -MountPointDir 'C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for Exchange\SnapMgrMountPoint' -RemoteAdditionalCopyBackup $False -PassiveDatabaseOnly -ActivationPreference 2 -Verify  -VerificationServer 'EXCH-01'

From my understanding, the -RetainUtmBackups 2 option will keep all the transaction logs for the last two backups which should allow me to specify an arbitrary time between the full backups to do a restore - is this correct?

I only ask as when I attempt to do this it doesn't let me, I only have the option to restore from the daily backup snapshot.

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

Sahana

Hi,

Please refer the settings for RetainUtmBackups : https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1138417/html/html/GUID-7896DF1A-49CB-4136-BB3E-5EA59CEDF3F6.html

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

KernelPanic

Thanks for the link but I'm still not clearer on what -retainutmbackups actually does - does it keep a copy of the transaction logs even though they're being truncated by the full backups? Given the PowerShell command I posted why can I not restore to a specific point in time from the last two days as I have '-retainutmbackups 2'

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public