Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

Highlighted

SnapManager for Hyper-V - Distributed Application-consistent backup over SMB 3.0

Hi,

Before the upgrade to ONTAP 9 my Hyper-V Cluster was running distributed application-consistent snapshots over SMB 3.

After the upgrade my SnapDrive and SnapManager had to be re-installed/downgraded after a bad SD version. Now the option to run Distributed backups is gone in the configuration wizard and I found an old document saying that it wasn't supported but that was on Windows 2012, ONTAP 8 and SnapManager 2.0.

If it still isn't supported how come I could run it for over a year before the upgrade of ONTAP?

Is there a way to activate Distributed backups by editing registry or config files? The benefit of Hyper-V cluster kind of loses its point if I can't run distributed backups.

Best regards

Joakim

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: SnapManager for Hyper-V - Distributed Application-consistent backup over SMB 3.0

Hi,

To use this feature, select the Application-consistent backup type and select the Enable Distributed Backup check box. Refer Backup options in the link: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1518659/html/GUID-C0963B47-376D-4125-A26B-FA7A0F1CCB79.html

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Highlighted

Re: SnapManager for Hyper-V - Distributed Application-consistent backup over SMB 3.0

Yes, if it was there it would be easy. Smiley Happy But earlier in the line it says for CSV 2.0 (Cluster Shared Volumes) but I am running on SMB 3.0 Shares.

Highlighted

I know this was some time ago...but was this fixed?

I'm having the same issue. On-demand backups give me the option to choose "Distributed Application Consistent Backup" However, when creating a backup policy to schedule backups, I do not have this option leaving me with snapshots for each HyperV hosts in the volume used for SMB3 Snapmanager HyperV version 2.1.4

Thanks, Rob

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums