Data Backup and Recovery

SnapProtect 10SP6 and CAB extensions.

GRAHAM_HAND

According to the release notes CAB is supported (SnapProtect 10 Service Pack 6) but there's very little information beyond:

Cluster Aware Backup limitation

Starting with Data ONTAP 8.2, you can perform tape backup and restore operations at an Storage

Virtual Machine (SVM, formerly known as Vserver) level with the cluster aware backup (CAB)

feature. With CAB feature, you can back up and restore all volumes hosted across different nodes in

a cluster of an SVM.

I have found information from another site about configuring this to work:

Configure Vserver or Cluster File Server NAS Clients

Before you can perform NDMP backups of Vserver or cluster file server NAS clients, you must define the client type in the NAS client properties and add an Additional Setting on the MediaAgent used for the NAS client backups.

1. Configure the client type in the NAS client properties as follows:
    1. In the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers.
    2. Right-click the NAS client computer and then click Properties.
    3. In the General tab, select the Client Type check box and proceed as follows:
      • If the NAS client is a cluster file server, click Cluster File Server.
      • If the NAS client is a Vserver, click Storage Virtual Machine and select the appropriate client from the Select Cluster Client list.
    4. Click OK.
  2. Add the sCabMatchPair Additional Setting on the MediaAgent used to backup the NAS client as follows:
    1. In the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources > MediaAgents.
    2. Right-click the MediaAgent used to backup the Vserver or cluster file server NAS client, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Additional Settings tab, and then click Add.
    4. Enter the following Additional Setting information in the appropriate fields:
      • Name: sCabMatchPath
      • Category: NAS
      • Type: STRING
      • Value: Y
    5. Ensure the Enable check box is selected, and then click OK.

But nothing beyond that.  From the instructions on the non-NetApp documentation it seems that I should now be able to see volumes across all nodes in the Cluster but that's not the case.  I have a support case open for further information but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any further information or has experience getting this working.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2

GRAHAM_HAND

I should clarify that I cannot automatically detect the volumes as the exist on the other node.  I seem to be able to specify their paths in the format of <SVM>/<volume_name> as they exist on the other node and backups work.  Setup the job and will be running the backup tonight.

Bektas_Denmark

I presume you are running C-DOT. You need to set this parameter.

system services ndmp node-scope-mode off

You need to add all SVM you want to backup as arrays and enable "Use Tunneling"

You need to add all SVM with CIFS as NAS clients using ndmp user / encrypted password

Now you can now see and select all volumes for a given SVM.

Public