Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

SnapProtect archive retrieval questions

EMelosh
Here's the scenario; We have VM guest VMX that resides in it's own datastore in VMware which is a volume on NetApp-A. SnapProtect is configured to do backups based on datastore and has been backing this VMX up for quite a while now. For this particular VM, the backups look like; 1 local snapshot (Primary Snap) in the production datastore on NetApp-A. There is also a Secondary Vault that snapvaults this snapshot to NetApp-B. The Retention on the Secondary Vault is 21 daily snapshots and 11 monthly snapshots - all controlled via SnapProtect.

Now the VM guest VMX gets decomissioned and deleted from the datastore it's in on NetApp-A but I'm required to retain the data for certain period past the decommission date.

When I look at the physical systems now, I have the original volume/datastore that held the VM on NetApp-A. That volume still contains the last SnapProtect snapshot that was taken about a month ago before the VM was deleted. I also have the Secondary Vault on NetApp-B that contains the last 21 daily SnapProtect snapshots as well as the last 11 monthly SnapProtect snapshots.

If I go into SnapProtect and attempt to do a Browse and Restore, I cannot find this system VMX in any of the backups no matter how far back I look. Even if I explicitly tell it to use the Secondary Vault using the appropriate 'Browse from copy precedence:' option, I cannot find the VM that was deleted. It's still physically there in the Secondary Vault as I can explore to it from my laptop and see all the files, i.e. I can manually copy them back outside of SnapProtect.

So here's my questions;

1) Is the behavior I'm seeing in SnapProtect normal or expected given the fact that the original VM was deleted? If not, how do I get to the existing backup data via SnapProtect?

2) What is the proper process to 'Archive' data if a VM is to be decommissioned but we still need to retain the data for a period of time? I thought we were good deleting the VM's since we still have the Secondary Vault data but apparently that is not the case.
1 REPLY 1

rwelshman

I do see a VM management tab in the subclient properties that lists some behaviour for when a VM is deleted. One option is to remove the record of it immediately from SnapProtect.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public