Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

Re: Snapcenter plug in for VMWare _recent name

I'd like to see this functionality in the GUI. When i was using SMVI it was in the GUI. Why would you replace a product and not keep existing functionality??? I can see adding more but never removing.

Thank you

In the GUI please.

Maybe a question that should have been asked before removing it from the client.

The most Customer needed this function again in the GUI, hardly any overrun api..

Thanks a lot for pushing the Function!

We also need it in the GUI. The software that manages our NDMP to tape backups does not support a scripting solution.

So are we going to see this capability soon? Would love to be able to differentiate my backups.

@bhirsch, we are currently planning to support _recent naming in SCV plug-in for SnapCenter 4.2 release planned for Jan'19 release. The idea is to get this live before VSC 6.2.x goes End of Version Support in Mar'19.

Hello,

I'm from support, and I found that the vSphere Plugin does support pre- and postscripting as documented on page 31.

Since the scripts get the snapshot names in the environment variables, why didn't anyone consider to create a post-script

that adjusts the backup script to use that particular snapshot name ?

Is it because the path for each backup would be different ?

Or that the tape backup has to be started through a script ?

Regards,

Olaf Leimann.

This would not work in our environment. While we can execute an existing job definition through a script, backup jobs can only be defined via a GUI. There is no command line or scripting interface to define or modify a backup job definition.

Hi, 

Is it now confirmed that the _recent snapshot facility will be a feature in version 4.2 for NDMP backup? I have a requirement for this for a project early next year.

Regards

Simon

Unfortunately, _recent functionality is not part of the SC 4.2 roadmap. It was initially planned but dropped later due to lack of engineering bandwidth and change in business priorities.

Forums