Data Backup and Recovery

Snapcreator 3.6 Fails backing up DB2 DB. Unable to quiesce the DB.

michaeldparker

Hi All,

We have been successfully using SC3.4 for months to back up our Windows DB2 databases.  Due to wanting to stay current and other reasons, we upgraded our SC to 3.6.  I copied my old 3.4 config files for the servers to be backed up into the 3.6 installation path and upgraded my agents to 3.6.  After doing that, I ran a test backup which fails very quickly.  Here is a snippet of the log file:

[Thu Dec  6 13:37:36 2012] INFO: Logfile timestamp: 20121206133736

[Thu Dec  6 13:37:36 2012] INFO: Plugin validation skipped for db2, no plugin parameters file found or no parameters set

########## Parsing Environment Parameters ##########

########## PRE APPLICATION QUIESCE COMMANDS ##########

[Thu Dec  6 13:37:36 2012] INFO: No commands defined

########## PRE APPLICATION QUIESCE COMMANDS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY ##########

########## Application quiesce ##########

[Thu Dec  6 13:37:36 2012] [cdctops1:9090(3.6.0.1)] INFO: Quiescing databases

[Thu Dec  6 13:37:36 2012] [cdctops1:9090(3.6.0.1)] INFO: Quiescing database cricare

[Thu Dec  6 13:37:38 2012] [cdctops1:9090(3.6.0.1)] ERROR: [db2-00001] Quiescing database cricare failed with message

[ connect to cricare

Database Connection Information

Database server        = DB2/NT 8.2.7

SQL authorization ID   = SYSTEM

Local database alias   = CRICARE

set write suspend for database

SQL1092N  "SYSTEM  " does not have the authority to perform the requested command.

connect reset

DB20000I  The SQL command completed successfully.

Any ideas where we have gone wrong? 

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

oommen

The agent was started with the wrong id after the install. Agent is restarted with the correct id. All is well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sivar

Hello Michael,

Please check the procedure listed below.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21461051

Please let me know if your DB2 service can be stopped and restarted as mentioned in the article above.

Siva Ramanathan

michaeldparker

Hello Siva,

Unfortunately I am not able to restart my services at this time. I am not really thinking this is the issue though. I had it working perfectly under 3.4 using a local user do userid to connect to the db2 db. This part was was working fine. The only Change I made was upgrading sc. I am using the same config files on the snap Creator mgmt server. I am not aware of any config changes I needed to have made or preserved on the client side.

Thanks

Michael

Sent from my iPad

sivar

For backups and restores, the DB2 instance user requires, at a minimum, SYSADM, SYSCTRL, and SYSMAINT rights. 

I am wondering your SQL Authorization ID = SYSTEM is what causing the issue.

If the DB2 service is running as a domain user name, then replacing the username with that "Domain User" that has all the above privileges might help.

I will wait for Bobby to review your config further.

sivar

Michael,

I am reading the below information from the SC 3.6.0 install guide.

Is there a way you can still perform the below operation? (I know you are already running 3.6)

Upgrading from Snap Creator 3.5.0

You can upgrade to Snap Creator 3.6.0 by adding parameters to the Snap Creator 3.5.0 configuration file.

About this task

Note: Only the upgrade from Snap Creator 3.5.0 to Snap Creator 3.6.0 is supported. To upgrade

from earlier versions, you must upgrade one version at a time. For example, to upgrade from Snap

Creator 3.3.0, you must first upgrade from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0 , 3.4.0 to 3.5.0, and then from 3.5.0 to

oommen

Could you please send the snapcreator configuration file to oommen@netapp.com. Also please make sure the database configuration is not being changed.

michaeldparker

Ok. I'm emailing you the config file for one of my servers now. Nothing has changed on the database configuration side. Thanks for the help!

michaeldparker

Hi Bobby,

I just sent you the file. Please let me know if you need anything else or where you think I have messed up.

Thanks

Michael

Sent from my iPad

oommen

The agent was started with the wrong id after the install. Agent is restarted with the correct id. All is well.

michaeldparker

It’s always the little undocumented things that bite. Thanks once again for your help! I probably wouldn’t have figured this out for days otherwise.

Public