Data Backup and Recovery

Snapcreator AIX/DB2 on VIOS/PowerVM ?

boonstra

Guys, i don't see any reason why not but i want to make sure that SC is supported running on vios/powervm as well

4 REPLIES 4

oommen

SC can create consistent snapshots even if the LUNS are presented as vSCSI disks (i.e thru the VIOS). I am working with a customer (DB2/AIX/SAP) now and is also testing in my Lab to streamline the process. As part of the Snapshot Creation and Snap Restore process you would execute AIX commands on the Guest LPARS. This can be done thru the PRE/POST SC commands.

Regards,

Bobby.

boonstra

thanks bobby, if you could send me any documentation about the processes that would be great
Also is NPVI required for VIOS ?

boonstra

bobby thanks for your help so far, could you let me know if VIOS guests need NPIV for complete functionality, customer is afraid that without it

the restores for example are not working since without NPVI their storage is not readiliy visible, but virtualized.

also, are there plans for an informix plugin ?

oommen

Sebastian,

You don't need NPIV, using Snap Creator you can do the consistent Backup and Recovery even with vSCSI LUNS. One thing you need to keep in mind is SDU is not supported and is not really required in your case. We provided a solution for customer DB2/AIX/SAP with vSCSI configuration with Snap Creator. Also I have tested this in my Lab.

What kind of issue they are facing with restore. Please send me the details, I can take a look.

About Informix integration please follow this thread - http://communities.netapp.com/thread/7561

Regards,

Bobby.

Public