Data Backup and Recovery

Snapdrive error running SMSQL backup

HendersonD

OnTap 7.3.2 on FAS3020

VM SQL Server 2008 R2 running under Windows Server 2008 R2 with an NFS datastore

SQL Database and log files stored in VMDKs also under NFS

Snapdrive 6.3 and Snapmanager 5.1 installed on SQL Server

VSC 2.0.1 installed on Virtual Center server

Using Snapmanage for SQL server for backups of SQL database and log files stored in VMDKs under NFS is supported with above setup. My backup will work for a few days and then bomb with a Snapdrive error shown in the attached file. I scoured the Now Knowledgebase and could not come up with anything. I scoured the event logs on my SQL and Virtual Center server with little luck. Yesterday, I opened a case with Netapp but I was curious if anyone else has seen this type of Snapdrive error.

A few weeks back I did upgrade from Snapdrive 6.3 to 6.3P1. This problem might have coincided with this upgrade but I cannot be sure. Two days ago my backup bombed again. When I went to look at the SQL server, Snapdrive was not even seeing the disks and a restart did not help. When I opened the ticket with Netapp, the engineer had me unistall Snapdrive 6.3P1 and reinstall Snapdrive 6.3. This made the disks visible once again. A kicked off my SMSQL server backup job manually and it bombed again with the same Snapdrive errors. Last night this same job kicked off according to schedule at 10:40pm and it ran fine.

1 REPLY 1

ekashpureff

A good boxing day to you, sir...

Have you examined the syslog an auditlog records on the filer involved at the same time peiods ?

I didn't see them in your included log mesgs ? I would want to correlate these when debugging.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
NetApp Instructor and Independent Consultant
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

Public