Subscribe

Re: Snapdrive issue on Windows Host

Verify dual paths through the DSM.  It is intuitive once you find the DSM snap-in.   You should see the DSM MMC snap-in in Computer Management (Windows 2003) or in Server Manager-Storage (2008).

we dont have DSM installed .

our assumptions was that we can manage luns and pathing through snapdrive s/w.. is that not true

I was told that the DSM was required for MPIO (multipathing).   Version 3.5 of the DSM includes the Windows Host Utilities Kit.   I believe you were required to install the DSM and the Windows Host Utilities Kit for versions of the DSM prior to 3.5.

SnapDrive allows for management of LUN's but provides no multipathing funcionality.   The DSM is NetApp's ALUA enabled multipathing solution.

so can i download DSM from now site for free or do i need to buy that too.

Are you using Win 2008 or Win 2003?

With Windows 2008, you may be able to use the native multipathing feature in Windows (without the NetApp DSM).   I havent tried this so please share your findings if you decide to go this route.    You can verify that it is working correctly by looking in disk manager - if you've provisioined a single LUN and see two disks in Disk Manager then you know the native MPIO stack isnt working.   That is a very rudimentary way of verifying MPIO - I dont know of any other ways of verifying proper MPIO with just the native 2008 MPIO feature enabled.

I know the DSM is licensened but I am not sure if it comes for free with all NetApp's.  I'd contact support if you have a current support contract.

A note on the 2008 MPIO feature - you may or may not need to do some manual configuration (within the registry I suppose) to get the native windows 2008 MPIO feature to recognize the NetApp LUN's.   Again, I havent used it but I can tell you that the native Linux MPIO apparently automatically recognizes the NetApp devices.   Again, please share any findings.

we are on win 2003.

The only way I know of to get the MPIO stack on Windows 2003 is to install the Microsoft iSCSI initiator.  Sounds strange installing the iSCSI initiator on a host using FC but that is what I was told.  After that, I have no idea how you would go about verifying proper MPIO to you FC luns unless you install the NetApp DSM.

can i donwload online from now site or do i need to purchase netapp DSM ?

I downloaded it from NetApp.   Keep in mind that we purchased the "full suite" of NetApp software so I know we are licensed for it.   I am not sure if it is offered for free or not.  If I were you, I'd try downloading it from NetApp.    If it requires a license, contact a sales rep.