Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

VTL Post Process Deduplication

Greetings and salutations. Does anyone out there have any experiences to share regarding situations where you have had issues with getting the post process completed? I am seeing that at around 70-75% of capacity, we start seeing warnings of space usage. At about 80-85% the VTL will start behaving erratically, like take the drives offline in an attempt to self-preserve. If we fill up space too fast, it can't catch up on the post process, and we have to essentially stop all backups and restores to let it finish uninterrupted. I also wondered how this VTL handles cleanup of expired, re-labled volumes. There is no indication that that is happening, like you see with volumes actually having been written to, and seen in the post process job. I also have seen that if the post process job does not finish in the window, the FSB job will not kick off to reflect any savings from the dedup process. I also think I have observed the following caveat - if you want to run backups or restores during your post process window, then out-of-band dedup is not the right product to get. Any comments out there are greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES

Re: VTL Post Process Deduplication

Bruce,

as you possibly know, VTL & DeDup is a sensitive topic. I strongly recommend you to get in touch with NetApp professional service regarding your issues and a possible solution.

Highlighted

Sensitive is an undestatement. How about criminal, would that be a better word?

I have cases open, but get very little or no quality help, which is why I am trying this forum. Thanks for your response.

NetApps product policy is none of my concern to discuss here.

I recommend you to escalate these things with your favorite NetApp sales representative instead of customer support only.

Forums