Data Backup and Recovery

Variable referencing not very flexible

uptimenow

Hi,

I am trying to make use of the variable referencing feature of SnapCreator to create a logfile name, and I am slowly coming to the conclusion that it is not as flexible as I had hoped it to be. I am using SC 3.6.0c.

It would appear to me that concatenating variables is only possible when using a dash "-" between the variable names. Any other character (I tried underscores "_" and dots ".") stops variable substitution.

I am running an executable as a POST_NTAP_DATA_TRANSFER_CMD and want to log any output from this exe to a logfile with a name like this "hksql4.SD.daily.out.20130115181730-qsm.log" under SC's logfile directory so that it can be picked up by SC's GUI. For this, I need to construct a string by using the following variables: %CONFNAME and %SNAP_TIME, but with ".out." between the two variables.

Is there any way to achieve this with any current versions of SC ? Maybe I am overlooking something, but this:

CUSTOMZERO=.out.

CUSTOMONE=%CONFNAME-%CUSTOMZERO

CUSTOMTWO=%CUSTOMONE-%SNAP_TIME-qsm.log

creates something very close, hksql4.SD.daily-.out.-20130115181730-qsm.log, but doesn't get picked up by the SC GUI report section because of the extra dashes in the logfile name.

Wouldn't it be nicer to reference variables via this construction %{VARIABLE_NAME} and allow more flexible parsing ?

(ps. for those of you who think I should just let my .exe print to stdout or stderr, and let SC's debug log pick up the output, I am confronted with an executable (perl2exe compiled perl script) that falls victim to this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971163 and a hotfix that is not working properly).

Thanks in advance,

Filip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

UPDATE:

This is now working in SC 4.0

Since SC 4.0 community release is available we would recommend you test this so we ensure we can meet this when 4.0 is released with NetApp support in March 2013.

https://snapcreator.netapp.com/download

Let us know

Keith

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Public