Subscribe

What are SC SQL backup types?

Hi All

The question is simple, but I still can't find the answer.

What is the difference between SnapCenter for SQL baclup types: "Full backup and Logs", "Full Backup" and "Transaction Logs". The let's add "Copy only Backup" option.

Can you please describe ste-by-step what happens during each backup type? I mean workflow.

When Logs are truncated, when they are not? What snapshots are created?

I discovered that druring Log backup, it copies logs to LogDirectory (SnapInfo), but does not create snapshot for Transaction Log volume itself.

I need ability to restore up-to-minute for 80 days, and I run out of 255 snashots for LogDirectory (SnapInfo). So if I had a day long transaction logs and full backup I need only one snapshot for one day. Can't figure out how to configure this in SnapCenter.

Thank you.

Nick

Re: What are SC SQL backup types?

Hi

you can have a look here

http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-40/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-con%2FGUID-454D4292-3ACB-4258-8D0F-FE99C269A3DD.html

then, shortly here for exchange:

Full Backup
- The DBs will be backed with log truncation .
- The truncated logs won’t be backed up .
- The logs above the checkpoint to the high log generation will be backed up by default anyway.

Full and Log Backup
- The DBs will be backed up with log truncation .
- The truncated logs will also be backed up which means all the logs (even the ones that will be truncated will be backed up )

As you can see Full Backup with “backup logs that will be truncated” is same as full + log backup.

Log Backup
- Backed up logs since the last log copied for that DB will be backed up.

Copy-only

This option to specify that the Server does not truncate transaction logs. You should use this option when you are also managing the Server with other backup applications

Re: What are SC SQL backup types?

Hi

Than you for reply.

Can you please explain HOW it backups data?

From my lab environment it looks like:

1. Full backup - creates snapshots for data and log volumes

2. Full Backup and Logs - creates snapshots for data and logs + copies logs to snapinfo volume and creates snapshot for snapinfo

3. Log backup - copies logs to snapinfo, creates snapshot for snapinfo

Am I right?

I need to keep up to minute logs for 90 days and do log backups every 30 minutes (for the current day). I run into 255 snapshot limitation for snapinfo.

Can you please advice how to configure SnapCenter to workaround this?

Thank you

Nick