Data Backup and Recovery Discussions

Highlighted

cDOT snapmirror resync and sc issue

[Submitting on behalf of Tobias.]

Hi SC experts!

I have an issue with my SC (4.1P1) setup. I’m using the SAP HANA plugin, but that’s not relevant for the problem, I think. Here’s where I’m facing problems:

• - My setup is based on cDOT (8.2 P6) / Linux / NFS
  • - I have a config where I take backups of primary volumes (wdflabvs07_fp_infra:/schana_data).
  • - The volumes are protected using snapmirror type XDP (snapvault) – the SC plugin triggers the update during a backup run (wdflabvs07_fp_infra:/schana_data -> wdflabvs10_fp_backup_t002:/sv_infr_schana_data)
  • - Everything is running fine up to here
  • - Then I would like to restore a primary snapshot which is older than the base snapshot for the snapmirror relationship
  • - In order to do that, I’m quiescing and deleting the snapmirror relationship to release the base snapshot
  • - Then I restore the (older) primary snapshot
  • - Now I would like to recreate the snapmirror relationship again (to continue protection of backups) – without a complete baseline transfer.
  • - I’m creating the snapmirror relationship again with type XDP, then I resync the destination.
  • - In system manager and on the cluster console, everything looks fine: the most recent common snapshot on primary is tagged “snapmirror” and the connection shows up.
  • - Now in SC, when I run the next backup, it fails, stating that the SnapVault relationship is missing:

I already had a look into that and we could verify that SC is not able to find the relationship anymore. Nevertheless,

• - I don’t understand why this is happening and
  • - How should the correct procedure look like resync the relationship in such a scenario?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kapil

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: cDOT snapmirror resync and sc issue

We figured out a workaround/solution to this problem.

Resync is not enough, we must create a new snapshot on primayry and do a SnapMirror update using the appropriate SnapMirror lable before we start regular backups through Snap Creator.

Thanks,

kapil

View solution in original post

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums
Public