Data Backup and Recovery

changing backup deletion options for snapmanager

justmike2

Hello.  We are running SnapManger for SQl v5.1.  It is currently configured and has jobs scheduled and running just fine. However, we would like to change the backup deletion options.  We would like to change how many backups to keep after a full backup completes.   Short of deleting the job and going through the backup wizard, we can't seem to find where to change that. 

thanks

2 REPLIES 2

jason_lempka

Mike,

It's a bit labor intensive, but all of the SQL Server jobs just call a  SMSQL command line.  For example:

C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\SmsqlJobLauncher.exe new-backup  –svr 'SQLSERVER'  -d  'SQLSERVER\SQLINSTANCE', '0' -RetainBackupDays  7 -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfo 2 -trlog  -noutm  –mgmt daily

(depending on the options you selected in the Wizard, your's may look different).  If I wanted to extended my retention period beyond 7 days, I could edit the -RetainBackupDays to be 14.  It's entirely possible to edit the command lines outside of the wizardn (after it's run) without effecting the SMSQL backups or their configurations (assuming you edit it properly).

At that point, it's a matter of you changing the job definitions on all of your servers -- which may not be trivial in your organization.

All of the command line options are defined in Appendix B of the SMSQL Installation and Administration guide:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/SnapManager/relsmsql51/html/software/install/cli.htm

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Jason

justmike2

Thanks, Jason!  That helps.

mike

Public