Data Backup and Recovery

shrink the exchange snap_info volume

onephonede

Dear Community and NetApp technicians,

I'm using a Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008 (still physical) but I already moved the Exchange databases to the filer.

Back then (during the migration) I didn't now that the snap_info Volume wouldn't need so much space and allocated 200GB to it.

After all I noticed the it only uses max 4-5 GB due to nightly Backups.

Since this is expensive storage and I dont want to waste any GB I would like to reduce the size of this Volume.

In a first step I reduced it on the Filer to 25 GB but the operatingsystem (W2008) only allowed the partition to be reduced to 100GB (1/2)

So took the Volume back to 100GB again and left it like that - but im still wasting 90 GB.

Why is this ? how can I achieve further space reduction in windows ? Any clue ?

Thanks for your help !

Kind Regards,

Michael

6 REPLIES 6

radek_kubka

Hi,

Did you try to shrink the LUN via SnapDrive?

Also, bear in mind that after the LUN is shrunk, you should also resize the volume containing this LUN - unless it's thinly provisioned.

On that note:

Instead of resizing anything you may consider changing volume guarantee to none & disabling LUN space reservation - it will take from aggregate only space required for data (plus any potential 'holes' after files being deleted), regardless of the LUN / volume size.

Regards,

Radek

onephonede

Hi Radek,

I can*t use SnapDrive to shrink the LUN because I have to shut down the Exchange server befor I resize the LUN, due to the transactions Logs on that LUN.

Also at first I have to reduce the size of the partition in Windows beforehand or not ?

I like the idea of simply changing Volume Guarantee to none and disabling LUN Space-reservation because they require no downtime and are easy/uncritical.

But if the Windows partition on that LUN is 100 GB big wont it look like full reserved to the Filer ?

Thanks and kind Regards,

Michael

radek_kubka
I can*t use SnapDrive to shrink the LUN because I have to shut down the Exchange server befor I resize the LUN, due to the transactions Logs on that LUN.

Why? I was always under impression shrinking a LUN in W2k8 is an on-line operation (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772210%28WS.10%29.aspx)

Also at first I have to reduce the size of the partition in Windows beforehand or not ?

Nope - SnapDrive does it for you.

But if the Windows partition on that LUN is 100 GB big wont it look like full reserved to the Filer ?

No - unless there was 100GB of data, some of it later deleted (albeit SnapDrive can reclaim this space)

onephonede

Hi again,

if I try to shrink it simply via SnapDrive it says:

The NETS file system does not have enough free space to shrink the disk to the size entered.

So it is a Windows issue.

I already reduced the size of the patition in windows as far as possible but the limit was 100 GB from 200 GB

I used the GUI maybe the commands can bring more but im sure there is something there preventing the system from shrinking more....

Michael

beaupre

If you are using a dedicated SnapInfo LUN for your Exchange environment and you can't shrink the LUN any further, just create a new SnapInfo LUN that is smaller and then re-run the SME configuration wizard to move the SnapInfo data to the new SnapInfo LUN.

You can move the SnapInfo data without disrupting Exchange services. Just be sure to not move any databases or transaction logs.

Thanks,
Mark

onephonede

Hi Mark,

i like your advice because its quite easy and wont interupt the Exchange. I checked the Server and found out that the SME-Info (snapshot) such as the Exchange Logs are within this LUN.

My question: is it possible to move this Data to a new smaller Lun via SME config wizard even with a short exchange downtime ?

I like to way and would like to focus on it.

Kind regards,

Michael

Public