Data Backup and Recovery

DB credentials for profile creation in Snapmanager Oracle

NAYABSK

Hi ,

I am deploying Snapmanager for Oracle in my environment what type of user i need to use while creating a profile for a DB Instance.

Example:- I have DB called TestDB with ASM and i am creating profile and i was prompted to provide credentials so do i need to use a user account which access to bothe DB and ASM or just O/S authentication with DB access will do ???

Thanks,

Nayab                                                                                                                                                              

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

grahn

One thing you could try as well is to verify you have the proper settings in the snapdrive.conf

There is a wizard located in:

/opt/NetApp/snapdrive/setup

There is a file (can't remember the name)...setup_wizard I think...but it will run through some selections that will help you configure sdu properly...

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

grahn

The user smo is looking for is an account with Sysdba access.

This is usually sys, or some other account that you have granted sysdba access to.

Some customers use OS authentication or db auth....

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

Thanks for the reply freddy , So if i choose with OS authentication it will not cause any issue accessing my DB ?? and in the second screen shot i can see if we are using ASM we shoudl provide a account with ASM access so what if my OS account doen't have access to ASM ??

grahn

Nope shouldn't cause any issues with accessing your db...the user you are using should be a part of the sysdba group within unix...

If it's not, then you may have connectivity problems.

The same should apply for the ASM user....it shouldn't cause issues accessing the ASM db. Remember smo is only accessing the db to place it into hot backup mode and potentially take it in/out of the different states (if you do cold backups vs hot backups).

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

I am getting the below error now

--[ERROR] FLOW-11019: Failure in Discover: SD-00021: Error discovering storage resources for all system devices: SD-10016: Error executing snapdrive command "/usr/sbin/snapdrive storage show -dev": 0001-185 Command error: storage show failed: no NETAPP devices to show or add the host to the trusted hosts (options trusted.hosts) and enable SSL on the storage system or retry after changing snapdrive.conf to use http for storage system communication and restarting snapdrive daemon.

--[ERROR] FLOW-11008: Operation failed: SD-00021: Error discovering storage resources for all system devices: SD-10016: Error executing snapdrive command "/usr/sbin/snapdrive storage show -dev": 0001-185 Command error: storage show failed: no NETAPP devices to show or add the host to the trusted hosts (options trusted.hosts) and enable SSL on the storage system or retry after changing snapdrive.conf to use http for storage system communication and restarting snapdrive daemon.

--[ERROR] SMO-05075: Profile create failed: SMO-13527: Error performing fast restore check: FLOW-11019: Failure in Discover: SD-00021: Error discovering storage resources for all system devices: SD-10016: Error executing snapdrive command "/usr/sbin/snapdrive storage show -dev": 0001-185 Command error: storage show failed: no NETAPP devices to show or add the host to the trusted hosts (options trusted.hosts) and enable SSL on the storage system or retry after changing snapdrive.conf to use http for storage system communication and restarting snapdrive daemon..

grahn

So there are many reasons why that error might be happening.

When you start/stop sdu...do you get a warning message that says something about not being able to see a SAN stack?

If so, then your configuration is not setup properly...

Sent from my iPhone

grahn

One thing you could try as well is to verify you have the proper settings in the snapdrive.conf

There is a wizard located in:

/opt/NetApp/snapdrive/setup

There is a file (can't remember the name)...setup_wizard I think...but it will run through some selections that will help you configure sdu properly...

Sent from my iPhone

grahn

Also I would suggest you read some of the oracle docs around OS auth vs db auth...if you have any doubts about setup etc.

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

You are correct Freddy , I was able to see Unable to find SAN storage stack.....

# snapdrived restart

Successfully stopped daemon

WARNING!!! Unable to find a SAN storage stack. Please verify that the appropriate transport protocol, volume manager, file system and multipathing type are installed and configured in the system. If NFS is being used, this warning message can be ignored.

Successfully started daemon

Can help me How to fix this issue.

grahn

So my previous comment about the config wizard might help.

If not then we may want to consider opening a case with support to help you triage/fix the issue.

How does that sound?

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

Done !! Have been able to Configure SMO and create profile , Now going to Test Backup Hurray !!!!! Happy Testing SMO...........

Steps performed :-

1) Configured snapdrive in the host side by editing snapdrive.conf file and setting up the parameters based on the host.

Ex:- FSTYPE, VMTYPE etc....

2) Used common account which has admin access to OS, ORCLE and ASM.

Thanks a lot freddy For your guidance

grahn

Awesome! Glad things are working!

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

Freddy ,

You have any idea if Snapmanager support Oracle on Solaris with Logical Domains ??

Thanks,

Nayab

grahn

LDOMS correct? You may want to check the interoperability matrix to see if they mention it. I would check the notes/alerts for Solaris on the imt....

I don't know off the top of my head!

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

I did not find info about LDOMS from the IMT but this link is similar to my issues clearly saying LDOM wont work with Snapdrive

https://communities.netapp.com/thread/14369

grahn

Actually…I asked a friend of mine about LDOM’s and indeed we do support them…I’ll try to pass on some info in my next post.

NAYABSK

Hi Freddy,

I have tried running the SMO_backup and encountered with this following error

--[ERROR] FLOW-11019: Failure in CreateSnapshotForBucket: SD-00003: Error creating snapshot: SD-10016: Error executing snapdrive command "/usr/sbin/snapdrive snap create -lun filerp4:/vol/host1_st88_data/q1/lun0 -lun filerp4:/vol/host1_st88_data/q1/lun1 -lun filerp4:/vol/host1_st88_data/q0/lun0 -snapname smo_test1_st88_d_h_1_ff808081451b773f01451b7749c00001_0": 0001-476 Admin error: Unable to discover the device associated with filerp4:/vol/host1_st88_data/q1/lun0. If multipathing in use, there may be a possible multipathing configuration error.

Note:- I have installed my SMO and SNAPDRIVE directly on my LDOM.

grahn

Was this working before, and now you are getting this error?

Was there any changes that might have occurred?

Errors like this usually mean there is a lower level config issue, including mpio not being available/started, the sanlun tools not being properly configured etc.

That error is somewhat generic in meaning.

It may actually be time to open a support case depending on your answers to the above questions.

If you do open a case, please let me know the case number, and I'll update the case owner with my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone

NAYABSK

Hi Freddy,

Reply from Netapp Support :-

From what I could find about your compatibility question, FC virtualization is done by re-virtualizing resources from the IO domain. This means the LDOM guests see Sun disks, not NetApp disks. SDU/SMO will not work.

So its confirmed it will not work but this is not or notified anywhere in SDU/SMO guided or in IMT

Thanks,

Nayab

grahn

What was the case number? I’d like to follow up with the case owner to make sure…

NAYABSK

Case Number :- 2004925997

Public